Switching Host - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by SpaZMonKeY777, Jul 23, 2013.

1. SpaZMonKeY777

Wiki Team

Hello Spigot Family!

Long story short, our current host we have had for over a year has had major network issues after a migration of data centers, and their support has been terrible through it. So we finally settled on a new host, they offered a great price and have a good reputation. But this is my first time transferring large amounts of files from host to host, so I had some questions...

Question #1:
    What is the best method of transferring all our data from our old dedi's to the new dedi's? At first I was thinking to back them up locally and upload them on the new machines, but that could take a long time (Multiple 10gb maps and large database files). Since these machines are on CentOS, would it be better to use some method of transferring from dedi to dedi? I still consider myself a noob to linux, so if someone could provide some info on that, I imagine it would help a lot!

Question #2:
    Currently I am running 2 Intel Xeon E3-1230's 3.2ghz dedi's, and our new host offers the same. BUT they also have some better options... Would any of these other options really provide a noticeable increase in performance based on increase in price per month?
    - Xeon E3 1270 V2 - 3.5Ghz (+$24/month)
    - Xeon E3 1290 V2 - 3.7Ghz (+$85/month)
    - Xeon E3 1270 V3 - 3.5Ghz (+$32/month)
    - Xeon E3 1280 V3 - 3.6Ghz (+$80/month)

So what's your experience with these CPU's? Any specific one outshine the other? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Question #3:
    I can't really think of a 3rd question, but I am open to any other friendly advice while transferring hosts. Speed bumps I may run into that I need to look out for or plan ahead on. Don't want to be in mid-transfer and face-palm real hard because I forgot something crucial.

Thanks for reading, and any advice is appreciated!

#1 SpaZMonKeY777, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. Jigsaw

Supporter

For question number 1 I would say the quickest way would be the following:
    Code (Text):
    tar -cvzf <filename>.tar.gz /your/directory/you/want/to/compress/
    scp <file> <username>@<IP address or hostname>:<Destination folder on receiving machine>
    So, for example if I have some files in /home/minecraft/ and I want to compress them and transfer them to IP 1.2.3.4 I would do this.
    Code (Text):
    tar -cvzf minecraft.tar.gz /home/minecraft/
    scp minecraft.tar.gz [email protected]:/home/newminecraft/

---- Once the files are transfered I would decompress ----

tar -zxvf minecraft.tar.gz

I originally posted this in a thread here. It may have more information you could use.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I switched from GoDaddy to vr.org, from a windows to CentOS, and I used the tar command and then used psftp and placed it therem took like 5 hours.

4. SpaZMonKeY777

Wiki Team

Thanks for the info so far! Would it be safe to compress an entire minecraft directory like that? Map and plugins and local databases and all? Or would it be best done in pieces?

And if anyone has any advice on those CPU's, let me know. Will have to make a decision soon. I also got new quotes on how much more those CPU upgrades would be, so I updated the OP with those numbers. Let me know what seems worth it as an upgrade. Thanks!

5. Jigsaw

Supporter

I recommend to compress each world folder separately and then the plugins folder. I like to do it in pieces in case one of the compressed directories somehow gets corrupt. That way you can just re-compress that piece and not everything.

#5 Jigsaw, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. You used godaddy to host a mc server?

7. I would recommend the Xeon E3 1270 V3 - 3.5Ghz (+$32/month)

8. jeff142

Benefactor

I would do the Xeon E3 1270 V2 I dont see any gain in the v3. but just imo.

9. http://puu.sh/3KpND.png
    http://puu.sh/3KpQ4.png
    This shows how the 1270v3 is the like the third best non overclocked processor, but the v2 is very hard.

10. jeff142

Benefactor

11. I was a noob, and this is when I had just started minecraft, I was using the gui, but the switch to CentOS was easy :p

12. SpaZMonKeY777

Wiki Team

We decided to go with the Xeon E3 1270 V3 - 3.5Ghz machines, and so far so good. Getting everything prepared to transfer over.

Another question, would using rsync be a better way to transfer files? That way I don't need to compress and send with scp, I can just rsync entire folders over. Would that cause any issues with the map files?

13. I thought I replied to this thread.

Anyways, use rsync
    Running on the new server:
    rsync -aEver ssh [email protected]:/location/to/old/files /location/to/new/folder

a = preserve permissions
    E = preserve flags IE SELinux or whatnot
    v = verbose
    e = Method of transport, in this case, SSH.
    r = recursive

• Agree Agree x 1