Switching to XenForo: Need Advice

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Zeraceee, Mar 19, 2013.

1. I have been with Enjin for a while now, but I don't really like it. I am switching to XenForo in the next month and I need information on what to do.

Code (Text):
    1. Who to Host With? (Looking at Linode)
    2. How much Ram? (100k views a month)
    3. Bandwidth? (100k views a month)
    4. Should I go with CloudFlare?
    5. Do you use google apps for email? Do you like it? If not, what do you use?
    6. Anything else?
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. md_5

Administrator Developer

1) Any stable VPS provider is fine
    2) 512mb is more than enough for MySQL + forums
    3) You are looking at 400gb / million page views (measured by cloudflare, this is EACH page load)
    4) Cloudflare will reduce this to about 250gb
    5) Godaddy and Namecheap both offer this
    6) Moderator / Admin permissions are a bitch, use TMS for all your template modifications.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks for the quick reply. In regards to Namecheap/Godaddy (I use namecheap), if I point away from their nameservers I lose the ability to forward to email accounts. I will most likely just sign up for apps, it is $5 a month.

4. md_5

Administrator Developer

In Godaddy I don't lost that ability when changing name servers.

5. Hmm. Maybe I don't lose forwarding, I could very well be wrong.

6. http://puu.sh/2larX What Xenforo plugin can emulate something like that? I want to have just a flat out place to list all updates in a neat and orderly fashion. Obviously the style doesn't need to match Bootstrap's, but I just want a plugin to list all updates/changes in a short manor.

7. You would have to use pages or something of the sort, and use an <iframe>. Unless you want to learn the XenForo Frameworks. Which, it complicated.

8. I would not. I would just like something simple to list updates in that fashion, not necessarily that style. Something where I can simply type

Code (Text):
    Fixed Issue #221
    etc. A date and # (Line number, all updates are one line or less) are added automatically with the remark by me, and my name is linked back to my profile. Basically to log updates and changes in a neat and orderly fashion.

Edit: whatever system bukkit uses here is great, I would use that to do these updates in nice rows.

9. I think that is custom made. They are teamed with curse, and well, curse knows a lot about websites. I don't think that is available. You would have to check the XenForo plugins page.

10. Have done. I am just going to do a Bootstrap iframe and manually enter everything. You like? http://i.imgur.com/EFCz8xI.png

11. Nice. Throw a little more CSS in and call it done.

12. My mother would be proud

[​IMG]

13. My mom would care less and keep drinking. But thats just her. Jk.

Very nice.

14. Thanks for the laugh :D Nighty time here, thanks for the advice and help.

15. No problem! We are thinking of doing something similar on our server forums for every little update we do. Just so people have some reason to get on our forums. xD

16. Final Verison is SEXY:
    [​IMG]

17. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

Would you be willing to submit the source code of that somewhere, im really digging it.

• Like Like x 1

18. oooooooooo. I likey. How long did it take you? :3

19. 1. I can host it for you off my computer for free if you would like.
    2. Ram is not limited, but the machine has a total of 2GB.
    3. Unlimited bandwith
    4. Cloudflare is great because there isn't 100% uptime.
    5. I can help you set up your own email. It is really easy. You just need an mx record.
    6. The website control panel is ZPanel which is great, free, and open source. It might take a little time getting used to since it is not the typical cPanel that most websites have.

20. Sway

Artist Supporter

This^^ I want :x

• Agree Agree x 2