SYS Server Selection

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by WiseHollow, Jun 3, 2015.

1. I am considering moving to SoYouStart to run my Minecraft server. Would you find it necessary to upgrade to a new server if I am using an Intel i5-3570S? My player-base is about 20-30 at once, and have about 60 plugins running(survival server).

1. What type of hosting are you looking for? [Dedicated Server / VPS / Shared Hosting]
    2. What is your monthly budget? [$56]
    3. Do you mind setup fees? [Yes / No]
    4. How much memory will you need for the entire server itself? [8GB / 16GB / 32GB / 64GB]
    5. What type of CPU would you prefer? [Xeon E3 / Xeon E5 / Intel i7 / etc.]
    6. How much storage space will you need? [120GB>=]
    7. How many plugins will be running? [60+]
    8. What kind of Gamemode is the server? [Survival, Creative, Minigames, etc]

#1 WiseHollow, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Your i5-3570S has a single thread performance of around 1982, the E3-1245V2 that you're looking at with SYS has a single thread performance of 2007.
    So you'll see a little improvement in performance but in my opinion not worth it, using those numbers alone you'd be seeing a performance increase of ~1%.

However the E3 is a server grade CPU where the I5 is consumer grade.

3. Does having server-grade vs consumer-grade make a performance difference?

4. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Quick answer, no.

Benchmarks are a great reference point, but don't paint the whole picture. The Intel Xeon E3 1245 V2 will be 10%+ faster in the real world. It has a higher clock speed, more CPU cache.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GeorgeHousley123

Supporter

Pm me if you want a SSD CA E3 1245 server. soyoustart $50 - No setup