Techniques for getting members?

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by joehot200, Apr 26, 2013.

1. joehot200

Supporter

Hi, thought i might as well make this thread, what is everyones techniques to get memebers? i don't mean like what voting sites, but like, when do you bump, or how do you get your posts seen, etc?

Currently my only technique is to bump my server on PMC when there is no other good/large servers bumped already :3

2. I know PhanaticD uses minecraftforum.net to get more members.
    In order for his players to become "real" members, they must apply in the thread.

I assume it's to have a thread that is constantly bumped onto the frontpage, not sure how many members that'll give him but it must be a somewhat large number.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. joehot200

Supporter

Damn..... thats a hell of a good idea.

4. Absolution

Benefactor

Youtube videos. I have 3 youtube videos advertising the server. They get approximately 2000 views a month each. Make a good video :p

Edit: With only this I get approximately 75 new members every day

#4 Absolution, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

Online-mode: true

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. joehot200

Supporter

Dosen't help.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CustomForms

Retired Supporter

Helps me perfectly fine.
    When u doubt - online-mode: true

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. I also have my users leave their ign on the minecraftforums. The thread has about 70k views. The only downside is staff have to promote the player each time. Does anyone know if it is possible to automatically rank a player up when they make a reply?

9. CustomForms

Retired Supporter

If you don't own minecraftforum it's not possible.

10. Don't have a shitty server.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  11. Bumping on PlanetMinecraft is a good idea. As my server is 16+ age limited (mostly just so we get mature players) I usually wait until after 5pm cst to bump. Any sooner and I get bunch of annoying kids who can't read or follow simply instructions, and sooner than 3 and it's a waste.

We try to keep out server updated on info on most server lists. Some players actually vote which helps out rankings and get noticed. I noticed one server list, minetrack.net, mentioned us a couple times in their twitter. No clue if that gave us any new players.

I usually keep a link to my server details in my signature and that tends to help some.
    Though, I think one of my more dedicated players, not sure which, but some occasionally talks about some image-boards that tend to talk about minecraft and they refer back to the server. Which answers why we get some random spikes in players. Some of which are just, weird lol.

I donate some money each month to the Spout community for their hard work, but I put it towards keeping us listed in the top 10 somewhere. I know we get most of our spoutcraft users that way.

The only problem I have, and I'm sure it's the fact that you have to put some effort into becoming a member on my server, we get a number of players who join, but only a small fraction actually try and pass the membership steps. Some of which who do pass, will stay on for a few minutes then leave, which I assume they were expecting something afterwords.

12. joehot200

Supporter

I had up to 120 people online at all times until i got DDoSd and had to change provider...

13. Take off the whitelist and say it is still whitelisted? Then your thread will still get bumped from the individuals that haven't actually tested the server yet.
    Edit: Never mind I assume this isn't about a whitelist, oh well.

14. joehot200

Supporter

Good idea tho :D

15. CustomForms

Retired Supporter

Create a good website; helps keep members.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Why do we even support someone who promotes the piracy of Minecraft? It is a revolutionary game that has changed my life and the lives of many others. It has created a industry (media/servers/etc,) great communities, and inspired a countless number of young individuals. You really can't shell out 20 bucks?

17. joehot200

Supporter

You would actually be surprised at the amount of people who simply do not have enough money to buy premium minecraft.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  18. CustomForms

Retired Supporter

They don't have enough money because they are 12 years old...

19. lol but they somehow have a computer to play minecraft. a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. no room for $20 though.

20. joehot200

Supporter

I agree, it really is dumb how some houses/families work.
    Maybe.... you have a point.