Solved The deleting of "Too simple" resources.

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by JustisR, May 25, 2016.

1. JustisR

Supporter

If a resource has been approved for premium, then it is not too simple.
    That doesn't change, and the mind of the person/people approving resources should not either.
    They should not be deleting premium resources that have been being maintained as premium, after approved as premium by them.
    It's unprofessional, it's frustrating, and it needs to stop.

I had a resource, which I submitted to spigot a couple months ago, as a premium resource, for $2.
    Which was cheaper than the competitor plugins, even though I offered more features.
    It was approved, and since then I've been maintaining it, updating it, and attaining downloads and ratings for it.
    Each time, it was approved.

Recently, I've lowered the price of the plugin on another site, and wanting to make it equal on both, I updated the price on spigot to the same lower price.
    After three days, I reloaded my resources page to see the resource was gone.
    All my downloads, ratings, reviews, the resource page, everything was deleted.
    Apparently, despite no changes being made to the source, it was suddenly too simple of a resource for spigot.
    Thanks a lot guys.

Once again.
    If a resource approver has approved a resource for premium, that should be it.
    Unless the author submits a version which deletes half the plugin's functionality..
    It's not fair to the resource maintainer, to suddenly, and without warning, have their resource and all the history it's been building, stripped away from them on a whim.

If the site wide criteria ever does change, and a resource is no longer "complex" enough for spigot, the author should receive a heads up first, and time to make appropriate changes.
    Though as far as I am aware, that was not even the case here.

Thank you for your time and consideration on the matter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Haven't heard of this before. What exactly did the deleted resource do?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MiniDigger

Supporter

there are many ppl on the ressouce team that approve ressources. Everyone has its own criteria on whats ok and whats not.
    If you could provide a bit more information that would be cool.

4. Only premium resources need to be approved, not free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JustisR

Supporter

It was a gapple/crapple cooldown plugin, which unlike any other competitor cooldown plugin, allows the user to create their own permissions for as many different cooldown times per item as they want.
    Here's the default configuration:

Code (Text):
    #################
    # - GappleFix - #
    #################
    # By Justisr

# Enchanted golden apple settings
    gapple:
      # The time in seconds, and the permission associated with it.
      # Time cannot be below 0. Permissions cannot repeat for the same apple type.
      # Anyone without one of these permissions will not be able to eat the apple.
      cooldowns:
        0: gapple.nocool
        20: gapple.twentyseconds
        60: gapple.oneminute
        120: gapple.twominutes
      # Message to send player if they try to eat the apple during a cooldown.
      # %t represents the time remaining.
        text: &cYou cannot consume gapless for another &7%t&c.
        noperm: &c You cannot consume gapless for another &7two trillion years&c.
      # The text to display in the action bar while the apple cooldown decreases.
      # %t represents the time remaining.
      actionbar:
        enabled: true
        text: &5[Gapple] &7%t

# Regular golden apple settings.
    crapple:
      # Permissions can be absolutely anything.
      # They simply must not repeat within the same apple type section.
      cooldowns:
        0: crapple.nocool
        20: crapple.twentyseconds
        60: crapple.oneminute
        120: crapple.twominutes
      # Supports chat colors.
      # Set to false to prevent a message from being sent.
        text: &cYou cannot consume crapples for another &7%t&c.
        noperm: &c You cannot consume crapless for another &7two trillion years&c.
      # The action bar is located above the inventory.
      # An action bar message will only appear when the apple is in the player's hands.
      # Set to false to disable.
      actionbar:
        enabled: true
        text: &5[Crapple] &7%t

# Don't touch this.
    version: 1.0.0
    However, I'm not asking your guys' opinions on whether or not the plugin was too simple.
    That's still up to the resource staff.
    The problem is the unprofessional manner in which the resource staff team "works together".
    I don't want to be bounced around between conflicting opinions within the staff team, and suffer because of it.
    If it's denied, fine.
    But if it's approved, leave it alone.

It doesn't matter if it's a single person or a group of people.
    When you're a part of a team, you act like a team. You respect your peers, and act as one, taking responsibility as one.
    They can't all go off denying resource that their team members approved.

Every resource page has a history.
    It should not be that difficult for the approver in question to realize that a resource has already been approved for premium by one of their team members.

6. I have to say, it doesn't seem very complex. Having 'custom permissions' is anything special, it's really easy to implment; get it from config and check if the user has that permission.

#7 dwilson5817, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. MiniDigger

Supporter

go ahead and send the ressource team an email and I think that this can be sorted out. There are some new members on the team. maybe they did a mistake.

8. JustisR

Supporter

You missed my edit, it seems.

"However, I'm not asking your guys' opinions on whether or not the plugin was too simple.
    That's still up to the resource staff.
    The problem is the unprofessional manner in which the resource staff team "works together".
    I don't want to be bounced around between conflicting opinions within the staff team, and suffer because of it.
    If it's denied, fine.
    But if it's approved, leave it alone."

I realize it could have been more complex.
    I would not mind it having been denied in the first place.
    But it wasn't; and that decision was not respected.
    Hence the suggestion.

9. JamesJ

Supporter

How do you know it was deleted for being "too simple"?

10. md_5

Administrator Developer

Because you changed your plugin from premium to free to premium, it went through the approval process again.
    As has been stated above, times change and staff change. Just because you got through the gauntlet once, does not necessarily mean it will happen again when a resource is as borderline as this.

The fact that your resource was already approved was not taken into play when it was removed - it appeared as any other newly submitted resource.

11. md_5

Administrator Developer

I think you're kidding yourself if you think it's "unprofessional" for two people to have a differring opinion about such a qualitative definition.

That being said I disagree with the removal of your plugin based on outward appearance of configuration, but there are however several plugins available that do what yours do, including this (free) one which blows it out the water: https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/goldenapplecontrol.12639/

Also your pricing of $0.69 is interesting to me (hahah 69 /s) By the time PayPal takes their cut, you've made what, $0.30 cents. Is it even worth being premium at that point?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. JustisR

Supporter

Yes, but it was still listed as $2, due to a bug which allows you to change your resource's category, while keeping the price if the previous category was premium.
    T'was my first premium resource on spigot, and I had been attempting to select multiple category types like you used to be able to do on dev.bukkit (RIP, too soon).

Though I'm glad to hear that it was a category switch and not simply updating the resource page, which made it necessary for re-approval.
    That means that I could have been updating my files, and changing prices without worrying about needing to be re-approved each time, if I understand you correctly, and that was my main concern.
    Though, I wish the entire resource's history had not been wiped due to a category switch.
    Is there any possibility resources attempting to switch from a non-premium to a premium category, and deemed "too simple" be simply denied access to premium, and not deleted in their entirety?
    This deletion is what frustrated me more than anything.
    All my downloads, comments, the page, are now inaccessible to me, and I'll have to start from scratch if I want to post it as free again.
    This would seriously scare me from trying to switch over a future plugin of mine from free to premium as it's developed; I'm sure you can understand why.

As for the plugin you referenced, I had been looking at that plugin before I made mine, and I could have sworn they did not allow infinite permissible cooldown times, because I did reference the person who initially comissioned my plugin from me, to that resource, and they said it wasn't what they wanted.
    Perhaps the upload of my plugin gave them ideas for growth, enabling them to get so far ahead? :p
    I'd like to think that.

Yes, it's only a few cents.
    I like to make my plugins accessible to any server owner, even offered to give out licenses for free if they could not afford the $0.69
    I make very little though, and having a default price seriously helps, because most people don't have to worry about such a low price, and simply click the download button.
    Not only that... But I feel that due to the humor of the number, they would be more compelled to make the purchase than if it were $0.99. Perhaps I'm even making more by listing it so low. Who knows.
    In any case, I do love getting paypal alerts every day saying "So and so has sent you $0.69".
    It really brightens my salty attitude. ^-^

13. md_5

Administrator Developer

No offense but I'm finding it really hard to get your contention amongst that wall of text.
    I think maybe you should have read more carefully when trying to change your category:
    [​IMG]
    Specifically the part that clearly says:
    I've restored your resource but only because it was approved the first time it was submitted.

If you wish to change a resource out of premium you must delete it and start a fresh resource in the proper category.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. JustisR

Supporter

This also seems to have changed since I submitted the resource. :/
    I swear I'm not stupid, and I would have noticed that there...

It allowed me to change from premium to "fun", and the price remained.
    As you said, "Because you changed your plugin from premium to free to premium, it went through the approval process again."
    So it didn't delete it. So that text wasn't there.
    Thanks for the update though.

I apologize for my point not being clear, I tend to ramble...
    Here, let me highlight it:

Is there any possibility resources attempting to switch from a non-premium to a premium category, and deemed "too simple" be simply denied access to premium, and not deleted in their entirety?
    This deletion is what frustrated me more than anything.
    All my downloads, comments, the page, are now inaccessible to me, and I'll have to start from scratch if I want to post it as free again.
    This would seriously scare me from trying to switch over a future plugin of mine from free to premium as it's developed; I'm sure you can understand why.

I would like to know that in the future...
    If I do try to get my free resource approved for premium, I won't have to worry about the entire resource being deleted if it's rejected.
    Would it be that difficult to just keep it in the previous category? ^.-

15. md_5

Administrator Developer

The text has been there for well over a year and appears independent of category set so I don't believe you when you say it wasn't there.

Yes correct, it doesn't delete your resource, however the whole point is to stop users from doing it.
    A premium resource in a free category is undownloadable, and switching it back puts it in the queue again. Both are undesirable hence the message.

There is no possible way to switch a free resource to a premium resource, due to what is mentioned above, so your question doesn't really make sense.

I also suggest you refer to my above message.

16. JustisR

Supporter

I appreciate you restoring the resource. <3
    As well as your patience with me as I attempt to understand the situation.

You say there's no way to switch from being a free resource to being a premium resource?
    But... Is that not what I did?

Can I not simply do this to any of my free resources?
    [​IMG]

Lying to your members about switching their category deleting the resource. ;) ;)
    Tisk tisk. Stupidity from us and false claims from you cause confusion don't you know.

17. <Off Topic> I don't think its a smart idea to make an API premium, because both the developer and the owner will need to buy it -.-

18. JustisR

Supporter

X-X It was just an example gif.... I wasn't even considering that. xD
    Thanks for your thoughts though. <3

19. MiniDigger

Supporter

"There is no possible way to switch a free resource to a premium resource, due to what is mentioned above"
    you can do it in the ui, but the backend can't handle it...

• Agree Agree x 1