The most important part of your project might not even be a line of code

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by jflory7, Feb 7, 2016.

1. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Regardless of the application, if you're doing software development, this information is still hugely important. It transcends just Spigot alone. ;)

2. Would it not be wise to mention Creative Commons as a licensing option?

3. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

Absolutely not! :) However… CC is definitely a different context. Usually you will only use a CC license for creative works, or in other words, non-code resources. This could be pictures, articles, stories, how-to guides, or whatever. I guess you can technically use a CC license for code, but I would highly advise against it.

4. It depends. If you still don't license it, nobody can shade your project in, and it's just the same as non-licensed work, as stated in the OP.
    A project is still a property, which can be licensed.

5. https://bukkit.org/threads/what-license-is-the-bukkit-project-under.154/
    Doesn't this make us plugin authors able to license it under e.g. MPL 2.0?

6. What license should us premium plugin authors choose? We definitely don't want our works redistributed but we want to allow commercial use

7. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

It assumes default copyright laws at that point.

This response goes to both of the above replies.

Licensing proprietary software is a complicated matter, and people who know the legal stuff surrounding software law make their living knowing these things. In open source, there is a disclaimer or phrase you may often hear: IANAL. Fully extended, "I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute legal or financial advice." So this is my disclaimer.

I think writing a license is important for your software, but be aware that this is a complicated matter. If you want to take this seriously, you should do some research into how proprietary licensing works and try reading examples. But default copyright laws are a risky move for something like proprietary software and I don't think it will really protect you. Also, it's difficult to enforce things like copying / intellectual property when you're an individual, but if you have a license for your software and can prove it, any reasonable company or organization should respect a takedown notice if someone is hosting pirated copies of your software.

Again, IANAL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. You missed the LGPL (v2). Forge uses it, Linux does, ... so you can at least mention it, as it is the most popular.

9. He included v3

10. the LESSER GPL

11. Oops. Misread GPL as LGPL

12. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

The Linux kernel actually is GPLv2. The most popular open source licenses are the MIT License, GPLv2, followed by the Apache License. I didn't mention the LGPL because my understanding is that it's similar to the MPL (I just prefer the MPL). If you wanted to contribute a write-up of the LGPL, I'd be happy to include it. :)