Thoughts on starting a new server

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by SeismicSquid, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Hello,

I'm kind of new to Spigot and I've been reading in a lot of places that advertising and starting a new server is getting harder and harder with the increasing market as well as other mega servers out there. I have administrated/owned a few servers before and know the basics, Linux administration, recruiting good staff, etc. But, what I don't have is experience with running a server with 50+ people online (a goal I want to reach). I've raised up a sum of money that can sustain the server for a while because I know that donations don't come until much later.

My main issue is hosting. I'm not quite sure where/how to start. I don't know how much RAM I'll use at launch, or whether to use a VPS or shared. Any thoughts on that?

Also, advertising is the key to success from what I've read and experience. Once, you have a quality server, you need to market it. Any tips on where to go, whether its worth paid advertising at start, and how to attract players?

Basically, I'm looking for general tips.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

2. My main issue is hosting. I'm not quite sure where/how to start. I don't know how much RAM I'll use at launch, or whether to use a VPS or shared. Any thoughts on that?
    Start with maybe a 20 slot server and 1 gig of ram, save a bit of money and upgrade when you have to.

Also, advertising is the key to success from what I've read and experience. Once, you have a quality server, you need to market it. Any tips on where to go, whether its worth paid advertising at start, and how to attract players?
    Best attraction: good server
    Best advertising site: (I like the daily bump on PMC)

Basically, I'm looking for general tips.
    Picking a good name for your server is very important. Also keeping this name unique and easy to remember to also a good idea. I went into the servers tab to preform a little experiment. Here I went and collect the names of all the servers on the first page. Here is what I found...
    [​IMG]
    Including "craft" in your server name is way too common and can get somewhat annoying.

Having a good concept for your server is very important. Once again I went to the same page on pmc page as in section 1.
    In this experiment I went to see how many faction servers there where...
    7/40 server included factions just in the title. Now that was just on 1 page in the servers tab. Imagine all the servers posted on this site with a 7:40 ratio, that's a lot of servers that use factions. So the point is to keep you idea unique and trust me Factions Raiding Greifing Extreme PvP is already taken. :3

One important thing about your re spawn area is that it is not flooded with signs and hard to navigate. Just one point I want to make, People are not going to read all the signs in your spawn not matter what you do.

Bad Spawn[​IMG]
    Whats wrong with it?
    • Really bad looking
    • Too many signs
    • Hard to navigate

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Depends on what you're trying to do really. A shared host will offer you a cheaper price by and large compared to something like an OpenVZ VPS. However, you're just running minecraft and you're a bit distanced from it via the server wrapper. However, if you don't need root access, and you'd like to keep costs down, it's not a 'bad' place to start.

You could start with a VPS and this would allow you to have full root access, dedicated hardware (depending on the visualization), and the ability to administer your server however you would like. However, this comes at a higher cost. It costs more money, and you'll get less memory for a similar price.

This all comes down to your budget, your model, what you're trying to do... etc.

I wouldn't start a server with less than 2GB of memory as that allows you to have around 30 players and install a good number of plugins. I'd say the same for GSP or VPS.

I might disagree with this. I'd have to say that from my limited experience with advertising it really doesn't get you the players you think you want. For mini-game servers, it might especially because you don't care as much about retention as much as conversion from a free to a paid player. As long as you have a good number of player consistently on it doesn't matter as much if they're regulars or if they're new.

Other forms of servers, you're really after retention more than unique players. From my own experience and observation, PMC, server lists, and ProjectWonderful ads really don't seem to achieve this.

Instead, I'd suggest you focus on creating something that players will want to tell their friends and/or youtube viewers about. So, I guess I'd say you should focus on the gravity of your concept or product. The more addictive it is, the more unique, whatever... the more likely players will join and stay. That makes it more likely for other players to stay as one HUGE factor is having other players. That makes it all much more likely that players will tell their friends about your server...and pretty soon you'll find yourself with more players than you might like.

4. Thanks for the advice! Would you guys recommend a cheap OpenVZ VPS or shared hosting? I could get Xen or OpenVZ from http://budgetvm.com , they look pretty good. I've heard bad things about Minecraft on OpenVZ, but I'm not sure how this compares to shared hosting. Or splurge and get the Xen. I'm pretty much torn there.

5. If you need good cheap hosting Minecrafted.net is good. But if you need support stay away. Far far away.

6. Yeah, I'm debating between cheap OpenVZ VPS or budget shared hosting. The host can oversell on both options, so I'm not quite sure :/

7. #7 EncryptedCurse, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. This is clearly the only activity I have in my life. Don't even include eating or breathing.
    Instead of continuing flaming, I'll apologize as I thought that you ripped that content from someone on PMC and did not provide credit where due. Just a simple misunderstanding - that's all. Your reaction didn't have to be so hostile either.

#9 EncryptedCurse, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. So, I was thinking about planning something like this:

Right now - Shared Hosting 2GB (netherbyte). If I run out of RAM, I'll upgrade.
    When donations exceed $40 - switch to 3GB+ VPS
    When donations exceed $80 - switch to SP1 @ BHS from OVH

Is that a good path for growing servers? Looks good to me, but I haven't run any long-term servers before.

10. Anything?

11. 1) Grab a good host, one that cares about your server. I won't be a kiddie and only recommend my own, but you want to get one you want to stay with. When I first started mine, I took many weeks picking my host - then ended up not only going from .5GB all the way to about 8GB total from them. Worth every penny for the support, quality, just everything. I ended up getting a dedicated server from them, and am now just purchasing my hardware. Picking a good host is the first secret to success.

2) Do something unique. There are so many factions servers out there I hate them all. Get a custom website, its worth it, don't go with Enjin.

3) Players first. Keep that in mind and your server will do just fine.

12. Thanks. I've got the unique and players covered, but hosting remains an issue. May end up going with netherbyte (not sure though). They seem well priced and host on decent hardware.