Tips on dedicated server

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by EskilstunasTs, May 30, 2016.

1. Hi!

In recent times to have my minecraft server started to grow a lot and become larger with the result that I need a better server computer so that my players can play without having to notice any lag. That is why I would like you to help me with some tips about my choice.

Players: 60 average, 250 peak.
    Plugins: 10-25 (most is custom developed)

Everything else i plan to run.

Control panel (Multicraft)
    Teamspeak3 Server.

I have checked on this server computer and I wonder if it would deal with those players that I wrote up there. (250 max)

If you have any other suggestions you would be please if you list them for me! Thanks in advance /EskilstunasTs

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. The realistic answer is: Nobody can really say. Every server is different. Every plugin is different. Every game mode is different. The fact of the matter is that nobody can reliably predict whether or not that server could handle 250 players.

The most correct answer would be an (educated) trial-and-error approach using Spigot's many optimization options and seeing how the server responds to a high player load, run performance reports, see what's eating up most of your resources or causing trouble, and optimize that area of the server... then do it again, and again, and again.

In terms of hardware, the i7-4790K is an older generation, but still perfectly capable, processor. It runs at 4.0GHz by default, so clock speed/per-core performance shouldn't be much of a concern at all. Dual SSDs, 32GB RAM, fairly standard stuff. The hardware itself is basically designed from the ground up for Minecraft - they know who their largest gaming market is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it very much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. If you are experiencing lag, you should consider your proximity to the data center and the quality of network the hardware is hosted on. The newest, fastest hardware will only perform as good as the network it resides on.

Low quality fiber carriers and inefficient routing are most likely the cause of your lag.

5. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

What are the server specifications that you're currently using?

What kind of ping are you seeing when lag starts?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. GeorgeHousley123

Supporter

A server I was managing had 300 players on that server no problem, without lag. But I did need to do a lot of optimization to the MC server.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The server that I'm using right now has an Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 3.4 GHz+ 2x240 GB SSD 32GB DDR3

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Okay thanks then I know!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Psychz-Jimmy

Supporter

Location is a big factor as well, where is your server and players located?

10. My server is located in sweden, and my players are from sweden then it is a Swedish server.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Is this supposed to run on one box? I would suggest you to use bungeecord, that way you could fully utilize the entire CPU as well way more effeciently.