Total newcomer to specs & dedicated servers. Please help!

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by MousieMinnie, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Hey there, I've been wanting to take the next step to owning a bigger server and I've been with a hosting company for years; sub-par service but cheap. I'm pretty sick of the server TPS always fluctuating even when moved to another node. With a server like that, I can't even think of expanding my player base with how bad the server is functioning. It's on a shared network so I figure it's time to try something dedicated.

Now here's where I need help-- I have no idea what to look for. I've been attempting to lurk and learn off of other people's threads but then you kinda hit a bump so you must ask for yourself. So here are some specifications and questions, I will appreciate all the help I can get;

I plan on creating a server with an ever expanding player base. I do not have to instantly shovel out 1000+ slots but I would like to plan and have my options open for the future for when I have to expand above 1000+ slots. My ideal in-game setup would be:

Main hub (50 players per server):
    >subhub1
    >subhub2
    >subhub3

Gamehub (30 players per server):
    >subgamehub1
    >subgamehub2

Minigame (Ranging 12-24 players per arena):
    >subminigame (I've read that having multiarenas with dedicated world chat plugins work the best? I'd like some advice perhaps for this)

---
    The Gamehub and Minigame portion would repeat on how much I do plan for, I'd say perhaps 5 - 8 more times depending on how I allocate expanding content. Now I have some much needed answers to some questions about server things in general;

1.) What would a good CPU be for a network of this stature? I'd heard i7 would be ideal but I'd love input.

2.) Would overclocked be a better choice for the CPU?

3.) What is the recommended amount of Gps for a network?

4.) How much SSD would a network require ideally?

5.) XenoPanel or Multicraft?

6.) How much ram in total should I look into with my setup plan?
    ---
    I'd like to add a few details on myself as a server owner; I do not have Linux experience nor do I have setup experience whatsoever. If I were to purchase a dedicated, I'd need to pay someone to set it up for me; panel and all. My technical experience was just me getting my hand held by the host I've stuck with for years. Budget's never been a problem for me but just to be safe, I can only spend around $900+ maximum. If you know of a host that could perhaps offer both support in setting up a network like this and a dedicated server, I'd also appreciate any suggestions-- I'm not looking for the cheapest; I'm looking for quality. Thank you very much for reading and I hope you can help me. :)

2. Hey,

If you send us over a PM, I could help you out :)

-HotShot

4. Hi,

I think I know what you are implying, But you would be wrong.

-HotShot

5. 1.) What would a good CPU be for a network of this stature? I'd heard i7 would be ideal but I'd love input.

The faster a clock speed is for the CPU the better usually.

2.) Would overclocked be a better choice for the CPU?

Yes if you can afford it.

3.) What is the recommended amount of Gps for a network?

Not sure what this is.

4.) How much SSD would a network require ideally?

As much as storage you think you will need. Most likely any SSD drive will cover basic needs assuming you are not storing a 10000k block radius world. MC really does not have a huge disk footprint compared to CS:GO for instance.

5.) XenoPanel or Multicraft?

Whichever you like better.

6.) How much ram in total should I look into with my setup plan?

For the setup you are describing you would probably require multiple servers with a good 32 gb per server. My advice is not to tackle too large of a problem at the moment and just work your way up slowly with a single server someplace and add more resources as you need them.

• Informative Informative x 1