Unkown Host

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by NoKillz101, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Hello a little while ago i saw a thread called: https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/website.419833/#post-3703325 I used the thread instruction's to add a domain to my server. But some of the people who use the domain are complaining that it says unkown host when they try joining through the domain. But if i give them the real ip (ex. 812.325.23:2556) They can login. I have a 1.8 bungeecord that supports 1.8-1.5.2 Can anyone help?

2. Strahan

Benefactor

Well, without knowing the domain we can't really check it.

All I can tell you is to check to ensure you setup the record right. Be sure the domain DNS service is setup properly.

3. I had a similar issue with a friend of mine a while back. The hostname worked for everyone but him. We determined that whatever DNS server his ISP defaulted him to didn't know about the domain for some reason, but using the CloudFlare DNS server (1.1.1.1) resolved it fine.

tl;dr: Try 1.1.1.1 as DNS?

4. This is generally an issue of your DNS Records not propagating. Issues like this can appear on a provider-by-provider basis and can take a few days to resolve themselves. If you're looking for a FREE DNS service that is reliable and robust, check out https://cloudflare.com/.

A proper DNS configuration for your Minecraft server will point your desired domain/subdomain at the server IP Address in an A record.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Where do I put 1.1.1.1 as the DNS record? I also use cloudflare.

6. Strahan

Benefactor

That's for the client who cannot access your server. If it's just one guy, that's not a bad idea to try. If nobody can resolve your domain, that's pointless.

7. Some people can join others can't IDK why this is happening.

8. Strahan

Benefactor

Using a SRV or just an A record alone?

9. Just an srv to point to my minecraft server. A record for my website.

10. Strahan

Benefactor

Have the people who are having trouble try using the A record that the SRV points to directly, see if that makes a difference. Obv using the port manually that is.

11. I don't have an A record pointing to SRV how do i set that up?

12. Strahan

Benefactor

Other way around. A SRV must point to an A record. What A record did you use for the SRV? That's the one to which I refer.

13. I was talking about fixing a problem on the client end, like Strahan was saying. An easy way to check if that's the issue is to open a command prompt and type "nslookup yourdomainhere.com" and of course replace yourdomainhere with your domain. If that fails, try "nslookup yourdomainhere.com 1.1.1.1" If that succeeds, the problem is the client's DNS server. There are plenty of tutorials online for changing your DNS server for different operating systems, so if you need to do that you should try changing your primary DNS to 1.1.1.1 and secondary to 1.0.0.1.

14. You do not need an SRV record if your server is running on the default Minecraft port. Please see this.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Strahan

Benefactor

Just remember if you are trying to verify a SRV record with Windows NSLOOKUP, it won't resolve it by default and you need the fully qualified path. So you'd want to do like nslookup -type=SRV _minecraft._tcp.subdomain.domain.tld

16. Now im confused...

17. Strahan

Benefactor

Just try having them connect w/o the SRV, see if it works for them then using the server's A record. I.E. whatever record the SRV points to; probably the apex domain. (That's the base domain w/o a sub, like spigotmc.org for example)

Just be sure they pass the port. Since you are using a SRV, I assume you have a non-standard port. So if your SRV points to myserver.com and your MC port is 25700 then have them try myserver.com:25700

18. I have a dedicated ip. And my srv record points to the server's ip. I use srv for myserver.com too.

19. Strahan

Benefactor

If you have a dedicated IP, the SRV record is pointless.

20. then how will players connect to my minecraft server??? My a record points to my site. So what do i do?