Updating Inactive Resources

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by MrWaffleman, May 12, 2016.

1. I basically just need opinion on this. I've updated inactive plugins in the past (and even made them better after that), and I feel like working with them can give me experience. There are plenty of inactive plugins out there, what should I do if I wish to update them? Just get the source code change it then publish a new free resource that gives credit to the old? Has anyone tried this out?

2. Update Skywars Plz! 1.9.4. Don't change anything, just make it work with 1.9.4. :)

3. You should also make a Github fork of the project where you publish your changed code. The license of the plugin might require forks to be open source ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Make sure you follow the licence agreement

5. MiniDigger

Supporter

best way is to contact the origional author and ask for permission.
    In most cases it is better to start from scratch instead of trying to maintain an old codebase you did not write.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. You must do attention for copyright

7. Okay, well the reason I like editing these kinds of plugins is that they have "the ways of the code" that I may have not known. I learned SQL linking to Spigot from editing an old project, editing projects and trying to understand what they do requires more thinking than tutorials that outright tell you exactly what to do and how it works. There are some things that people do that cannot be located in any tutorial of any kind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. MiniDigger

Supporter

problem with looking at other ppls code is that you maybe pick up thier bad habits

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sometimes "Bad Habits" are better than "none at all" :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. I get what you say, but I guess this requires more cognitive thinking "Picking up the good habits and leaving the bad". I learned SQLite stuff from a project, and the way they used Commands was horribly messy, so I didn't pick up that idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have Skywars NMS 1.9.4 if anyone needs it. Pushing to Git as we type....

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. MiniDigger

Supporter

you realy should include a better .gitignore in your repo ^^
    and you should create a proper place for you libs, "New Folder" in downloads is not a realy save place to keep them ^^
    and you should look into maven, its so much better
    and you should look into intellij, its so much better
    and I should look at the whole repo before complaining, you are using netbeans ^^

why is your file structure that fucked? why did you not just override the old files?

13. Oh well, at least "it works", Just a hobby. Nobody else would do it, I asked for 3 days.

14. MiniDigger

Supporter

well, most of use do it as a hobby. but you can always improve on your hobby ;)

15. Not when you work a real job 12 hours a day.....I do my best. BTW I didn't over write anything, just uploaded the fix to 1.9.4 NMS, The rest all belongs to Walrusone and Rainz.