1.17.x Upgrading to Java 16

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by fishy_ydrib, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Plugins that were compiled in Java 8 still seem to work in 1.17, so are there any benefits to upgrading to Java 16 (besides new features that were introduced). It seems like it would only prevent server owners from using 1.17 plugins on older versions.

2. Java's runtime has vastly improved since Java 8. You'll use less memory and thus there's less GC pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Plugin developers can compile their plugins targeting older versions of java. So, if they want retrocompatibility, they are going to do this.

4. Okay, I was considering offering a 1.17-only version of my plugins that's compiled in Java 16 but keep the main download in Java 8. I'll probably end up doing that, thanks!

5. Everyone should be using Java 16 now. Java 16, from what I've seen, even works all the way back on 1.8. So it is on the server owner if they are not using Java 16. (you shouldn't be supporting such old versions anyway!)

6. I see no downside using java16. java8 is basically EOL. time to move on.

7. You should be able to use Java 16 and tell it to output Java 8-compatible bytecode. This should give you the best of both worlds.