Suggestion Use the new reCaptcha system for registrations

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by Janmm14, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, the title says it all and as we currently have a little spam problem I think that could solve it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. saphiria

Artist

3. It's a really easy task so it might get added but who knows!

4. From what I understood there isn't as much an issue with bot spam (which reCaptcha protects against) but actual people who do it, hence it will have no real effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. saphiria

Artist

Oh... Thats why he wanted "harder" questions...

6. Hmm, I would recommend using Google's one click verification.. Much more simple :D

7. saphiria

Artist

I love it when sites have that... :D

8. As I've said, the problem is with actual people spamming not bots. This would have no effect against them.

9. This is what I expect as well, users who are paid to go google dork forum sites, register, and post a single random promotional ad in a random location. Being how they are humans doing it, captcha won't really keep them out. That, and I hate googles recaptcha. Most of the time for me, it shows me completely unreadable junk. Occasionally I get lucky and it has me type a house number or something. But most of the time I have no clue how even humans read what it has to give. lol

10. I think they are referring to this one: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html with just the tickbox. But that won't stop a person really.

11. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

The problem isn't the spambots – it's the spam-humans. Literally. There are people being paid in many countries in the eastern hemisphere (particularly India) that are paid to spam things like this. And sadly, those humans can solve reCaptchas. :(

12. Could we look into a system where a user's first post must be moderated? I'm sure that would prevent a lot of the bots going through to the public.

13. Would mean a lot of work.
    I'll vouch for reCaptcha + 2-3 minecraft related questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. md_5

Administrator Developer

Locked.

We change captchas on a periodic basis, if we use the new reCaptcha it will be done when we upgrade to a XenForo that supports it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.