Solved Using getConfig() multiple times vs creating config variable?

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Diamond_King099, May 25, 2015.

1. I'm just getting started with configs, and I'd like to know if it's better to use getConfig().getWhatever() each time I need to get a config value, or should I create a FileConfiguration variable?

It would seem better to create a variable, but I looked at the source code of several plugins and they all use getConfig().getWhatever(). Also, if I was to use a config variable, I would have to reset it every time I ran the plugin's reload command.

2. Both options are the same. getConfig() points directly to the object. I would prefer using getConfig() because you got one variable less in your plugin then. For Spigot/Bukkit it doesn't matter which way you use.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is true. A variable is far more efficient because it reduces the number of instances of the config to just one - running getConfig() every time creates a new copy of the config each time, and can therefore reduce performance.

4. From the Bukkit source:

public FileConfiguration getConfig()
    {
    if (this.newConfig == null) {
    reloadConfig();
    }
    return this.newConfig;
    }

Believe me, it doesnt create a new instance every time ;)

5. Thanks :p

6. Thank you, @Friwi! You have answered my question.

7. The most simple method for him would actually be:

Enable:
    (never overwrites itself once copied)
    Code (Text):
    public void onEnable()
    {
         saveDefaultConfig();
    }
    and every time he/she needs to call upon it they can just use:

Code (Text):
    this.getConfig().get<type>()

8. I use