Using OVH with DigitalOcean?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Henry, Jun 24, 2016.

1. I've been an OVH customer for 2 years, and I've had a relatively good experience outside of customer service/support and built-in functionality. I can overlook these things, but I would prefer to have them. From what I've heard, DigitalOcean has good customer support and an easy-to-use system (quick deployment of servers, easy backup management, etc). I've also heard that the service is very high quality for managing web applications. However, it seems that DigitalOcean servers aren't very good at consistently running minecraft servers at a high quality. Is this information I have read true? And if so, would it be worth the effort to cross between the OVH network and DigitalOcean network, by hosting minecraft on OVH and web/dbs (maybe)/etc on DigitalOcean?

Also, for anyone that has used both services, can you compare the quality of service between OVH Dedicated against DigitalOcean and the difference between OVH VPS and DigitalOcean?

Thank you in advance for your input!

2. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Only difference is the more expensive price at DigitalOcean and the fact that almost all of their locations have no real DDoS mitigation compared to OVH who does everywhere. DigitalOcean will do fine for Minecraft, but the CPUs they use vary per location and system, and most of OVH VPS run the dual E5's.

3. OVH can take a hit, DigitalOcean gets hit off fairly easily (DDoS protection). OVH generally has better VPS servers over most other providers that in price range. You could always using @MikeA's ExtraVM VPS servers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. on digitalocean your node can be a bit laggy too, appart of it down easily of ddos, because you can get a lot of doplets with carding on digital ocean.

5. About 3 years ago I used a SF droplet to host MC but the processors were not up to snuff so I moved my server to a dedicated box (Sys). Generally on shared machine you're going to get less performance than a dedicated box since you're getting all of the resources. (I'm not saying that you're not going to get near native performance on VMs I'm using ESXi).
    Onto the second part yes I still use DO for my websites since they have a gigabit link and if for some reason OVH goes down you're website / downloads are still available to talk about it on.

6. If I were you I would stay with OVH