Using SQL Databases in Game?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by JaceStratton, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Is there a plugin with SQL commands? I've had to make a lot of changes to my SQLite database and it would be so convenient to make queries and updates from the server chat.

2. That is a phenomenal plugin idea. But to answer your question, no, not that I'm aware of at least.

Edit: If done correctly** Meaning require passwords, perhaps rollback cmd etc

#2 Harry0198, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  3. Strahan

Benefactor

FTFY lol

That would be a huge security risk. I would never expose my SQL to direct manipulation in game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelPhoenix

Yes the backend should never be exposed to the end user.

5. It’s not hard to do, I did it when I was developing a plugin for easy access. But it required a password to use the command. I can’t imagine it’d be that bad as long as only developers were allowed to use the command (including Owners).

6. Using any ingame command to access databases is a bad IDEA. Period. Don't be lazy. If you need to change anything, do it from console or FTP. I know it's convenient but if you value your security, you would realize how terrible this idea is.

#6 ExtremeSpirit, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I know that might sound convenient but, I've seen in the past a few times the IPs got leaked from servers that contained litebans with a specific version where you able to execute SQL queries

• Informative Informative x 1