Votifier port isn't listening [OVH - Normal IPTables]

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Incrementing, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Hello Spigot :),

I have Votifier set up with settings that I know should work.
    (IP: 0.0.0.0 Port: 8192)

But it doesn't seem to be working (error messages at the end of the post).
    I'm running it on an OVH dedicated server. OVH doesn't disable any ports out of the box and I've not edited any of the IPTables settings.

I can't for the life of me work this out :/
    Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
    Regards, Incrementing.

Votifier Test Error:
    Code (Text):
    Testing Votifier on 198.XXX.1X7.XX5:8192

Fail! There was an issue sending a notification to Votifier on 198.XXX.1X7.XX5:8192.

This was the exception that occurred internally: Connection refused - connect(2)
    Port Checker:
    Port 8192 is closed on 198.XXX.1X7.XX5.

NMAP Output:
    Code (Text):
    Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2016-03-06 02:41 EST
    Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Host is up (0.000086s latency).
    rDNS record for 127.0.0.1: localhost.localdomain
    PORT     STATE  SERVICE
    8192/tcp closed sophos

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.05 seconds

2. Instead of using 0.0.0.0 could you try inputting the actual IP of the server?

3. Tried that, Didn't work...
    java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address

Surely 0.0.0.0 is fine as it's the default route?

4. Well if it's unable to attach to that address, it would appear that it is not available on your system.

5. No 0.0.0.0 doesn't give the error the IP address of the dedicated gives the error.

6. Exactly. You are likely trying to bind to an IP your machine doesn't have access to. 0.0.0.0 binds to all available interfaces so it's probably binding to a different IP than the one you are attempting to use.

7. JamesJ

Supporter

Is this address a secondary IP address that you've bought? From the 256 free IPs you get.

8. Nope, Its the main address but come to think of it I had some problems while trying to get the IP in one of my plugins, it was returning the wrong IP address.

9. What? If your plugin says that the server is running on a particular IP address, that will be the IP address you should run votifier on since it's the one available to the server.

10. JamesJ

Supporter

How many IP addresses do you have assigned to this machine?

(Or use
    Code (Text):
    netstat -i
    to list your ethos)

11. Just one.

12. JamesJ

Supporter

Bind votifier to 0.0.0.0 then do 'netstat -tulpn' and paste the output.

13. Code (Text):
    Active Internet connections (only servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State                                                                                                                                                                    PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN                                                                                                                                                                   893/named
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN                                                                                                                                                                   15908/sshd
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5656            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN                                                                                                                                                                   15946/node
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:953           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN                                                                                                                                                                   893/named
    tcp6       0      0 ::1:53                  :::*                    LISTEN                                                                                                                                                                   893/named
    tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN                                                                                                                                                                   15908/sshd
    tcp6       0      0 ::1:953                 :::*                    LISTEN                                                                                                                                                                   893/named
    udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*                                                                                                                                                                                        893/named
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:21943           0.0.0.0:*                                                                                                                                                                                        15946/node
    udp6       0      0 ::1:53                  :::*                                                                                                                                                                                             893/named

Doesn't look like its there. Console output:
    [Server thread/INFO]: [Votifier] Enabling Votifier v1.9
    [Server thread/INFO]: [Votifier] Votifier enabled.

14. JamesJ

Supporter

Have you don't anything with IPTables?
    (iptables -L -n or cat /etc/sysconfig/iptables)

15. I've not edited IPTables although pufferpanel might of (pufferpanel scales daemon is on port 5656).

Code (Text):
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    DOCKER-ISOLATION  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    DOCKER     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain DOCKER (1 references)

Chain DOCKER-ISOLATION (1 references)
    RETURN     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

16. Are you using Docker with pufferpanel? If so, that's the problem. It requires a special setup.

17. Yes I am, do you know of any documentation on this special setup?