Web/MC hosting on the same machine

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by KrustyLv, May 31, 2017.

1. Is it a good idea to host web server and mc server on the same machine? (Using cloudflare)

2. I mean, the issue with that is, MC won't allow what CloudFlare does, so your backend IP would always be visible. Just buy a $3 VPS from OVH to host that Web server.

3. so what my backend ip is visible? I am using iptables and such. Am I misunderstanding something?

4. Well if you are on the same machine, you can not protect your Minecraft subdomains because you will not be able to connect to the server itself. So to fix this, you can not use CloudFlare on your Minecraft server's subdomain.

5. Strahan

Benefactor

Yea, it'd be fine. Unless your server gets massively popular, Apache's resource impact is negligible.

You can use CloudFlare with web services on an MC box, it's just as you said the IP isn't really protected because they can get it from resolving the MC DNS entry. If course, it's irrelevant because if someone is DDoS'ing your website they likely are also targeting your MC server anyway.

PS: ...and iptables doesn't mean shit in a DDoS attack. The idea is to mitigate the flood before it hits your network equipment. With a non proxied setup traffic goes directly to you, and your system doesn't have the power to deal with the massive influx of packets, so iptables are irrelevant as the interface is down from the attack anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1