What database

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by suitinacow, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Hi I wanna start learning about how to make a database and wanted to ask you guys what's the best type of database I should start with so I can start researching about it

2. latiku

Supporter

I prefer MySQL, although there's loads such as NoSQL, MongoDB, SQL, etc

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Creeoer

Supporter

MongoDB is what I've been using, it uses JSON.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. latiku

Supporter

Yeah, sorry for double posting but you shouldn't be asking what database you should use.

Use all of them temporarily and which ever you find suitable is your choice

5. @empshock @Creeoer
    whats the difference between different types of databases? why are there multiple lol

6. I like MySQL. All personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's like asking why there are lots of different smartphones.

Each phone is created with the visions of the creator in mind and is designed to compete with the others. Some phones are better in some situations, some are not.

As for databases, I'm a Mongo person.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. If you have structured, normalized data, then you should use MySQL (Percona or Maria). If you have unstructured data, you should use a NoSQL solution (most preferred MongoDB for its extensive feature set

If your just looking to dump data, where the data might be different for every user, MongoDB is likely the best choice.
    If you know what your data is going to look like structurally, and have the same data format for every user/data type, and one piece of data RELATES to the other data (ie: users, then logs for the user, then currency for the user) then MySQL would be the better option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. What database you use should totally be determined based on what you need to be storing in it. MySQL is faster than MongoDB, but MongoDB is far more flexible

• Like Like x 1
  10. I prefer MySQL.

• Like Like x 1