What hardware is good?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by zLegendXP, Jul 14, 2018 at 4:09 AM.

1. I'm sure that there are many people searching for good hosts, but how can they really tell if they are good or not? Advertising and bad business practices can throw some people off. I'm here to ask:

- What kind of cpus are best? More cores? Higher clock speeds? i7's or Xeons? Whats good per core cpu speed?
    - What is the most important piece of hardware?
    - What IO speeds are good? Should I stay away from hard drives?
    - Do I need ddos protectioin?
    - What is a "high quality network"? How do I know whats better than one or another?
    - Should I stay away from MultiCraft? Is pterodactyl better?
    - How do I know if a certain type of Ddos protection is good?
    - How do I know if hosts are overselling?

EDIT: Another quesstion: What tps is considered "low". please pardon my english its not my first language

If there are anythings you would like to share, leave it below. Also, maybe point out some other tips to beginners looking for a host. Also if I left out some questions leave it down below. This is meant to help me and others looking for good hosts. Thanks!

2. I can answer a few.

For Minecraft servers, you want to look for a CPU that has a decent cache size and is decent in single-threaded performance, since the server mostly uses one thread. So decent clock speeds are important, and not necessarily cores. Newer CPUs may also have new innovations to make processing more efficient, so keep that in mind too. The CPU is probably the most important component for Minecraft servers.

You don't necessarily need super fast storage. So it doesn't hurt to use HDD. If you want the world and plugins to load even faster, then use an SSD.

When is the TPS too low? You'll start to notice lag when the TPS drops below about 18. The optimal value is around 20, and it's okay if it fluctuates a little bit (sometimes you may get a reading of 19.8 due to precision). But, honestly, TPS isn't a good measurement to determine server stress. The TPS will drop once your server is under +100% load. You need a special plugin to report how much of each tick is under load and how much is idle. I think there's a couple on this site.

#2 Islandscout, Jul 14, 2018 at 4:49 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 4:56 AM
  3. Great answer, thank you. Though, I was kinda looking for precise numbers, such as the clock speeds, ssd speeds etc

4. You should definitely want DDoS protection and Multicraft is better than Pterodactyl imo. And TPS is too low when it's under 18 from my experiences.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. thanks for the info

6. This is a really hard question to answer, and I can already say, a high GHz value does not mean the CPU is better, there are sooo many more factors which affect the performance, core latency, architecture, cache all that can speed up several processes but it depends on the kind of service you run with the CPU.

Also looking at the plain single-threaded performance from a benchmark will not tell you how the CPU performs in executing spigot.
    Lets, for example, take a 7700K with 5.2GHz and a 2700X with 4.5GHz, now we would have to take a look at how Kaby Lake is against Zen+.

To benchmark the CPU performance for Minecraft you would have to take a look at double precision, a lot of simplex and Perlin noise generation, as that gives the most accurate results regarding the performance in Minecraft.

The plugin React has an inbuilt benchmark exactly testing that and giving out a result, I will now drop some results I've made over the past.

6700K @ 4.2 = 1,912 points
    7700K @ 5.2 = 2,031 points
    2700X @ 4.5 = 2,270 points
    1900X @ 4.6 = 2,350 points

Those values, of course, depend on what else is going on.

Now we can take a look at some other stuff, let's compare the 7700K and the 2700X a bit more.
    We now know that the 2700X is slightly faster than the 7700K in doing double precision and simplex & Perlin noise generation.

If you now search a shared host I would suggest the 2700X as it has more cache, twice as many cores (means less total utilization of the node)
    and is more recent.

When I order new hardware I take a look at reliability, which in the end does not affect the customer in terms of performance but is important for the host itself, you want parts which are known to be good, so you would not use a 10€ china CPU cooler to cool a server running 24/7.

From a consumer perspective, the CPU & Disks are the most important parts as they are the main factors of performance, DDR4 memory is also a nice thing but running DDR3 is usually fine. The motherboard can also play an important role when it comes to stability.

Spigot does not have a very aggressive IO access as it saves the world every X seconds. Although having a faster disk can boost up chunk generation and is usually noticeable. I would definitely don't use HDD at all anymore. Everything above 150MB/s should be absolutely fine though. Most SSD's are at about 350MB/s - 550MB/s and NVMe's can do 1400 - 2900 MB/s depending on the situation.

Which is probably also important is to look if a host uses RAID. RAID means you run several disks as one to be backed up if a drive breaks or something goes terribly wrong.
    RAID 1 = 2 Disks mirror each other to make sure there is no data loss
    RAID 0 = 2 Disks boost each other up to increase the performance
    RAID 10 = RAID 1 & RAID 0 together means 4 disks act as one.

Yes, in 2018 a DDoS attack is common and even if you don't have to worry about DDoS protection you don't know who else is with you on the node, and because its **shared** hosting the attack would also affect you. Capacity does not matter as much as mitigation quality as OVH can be taken down with a good 5Gbps TCP attack.

As most companies use OVH, Hetzner etc they have already good peerings and you should not worry that much about the network.

Totally comes down to user preference, I made the experience that Multicraft can decrease the performance, but I would generally recommend Pterodactyl as its more secure and does not just run the servers in a folder like Multicraft.

OVH is said to have the best DDoS protection which is not true, they are alright but as I said above they are really bad in filtering TCP attacks.
    I've made really good experiences with Voxility. That is also used by known services like ProxyPipe which protects big servers.

Overselling would mean they sell so much that the CPU would run at 80-90% and the RAM would be already using Swap, this is uncommon to happen. What almost every host does is over allocation which means you sell for example 10-20% more than you have as you don't provide dedicated resources, you should not worry that much about it as it does not affect the customer experience and it would be stupid for companies to have 40GB free on a sold-out node.

19.9 - 20.0 is extremely good when it drops down to 17 I would take a look at what is causing the tps drops, if you have low tps it does not mean the host is bad, it could be a plugin or anything else going on.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Wowza answered everything...

• Like Like x 1
  8. any1 else wanna share their thoughts?