What is your favourite programming language? Why?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by glatteis, May 13, 2016.

?

What is your favourite programming language?

1. Java

70 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. C / C++

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. C#

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Python

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. PHP

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. JavaScript

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Ruby

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Perl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Swift

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Other

13 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Hey, I want to know what your favourite programming language is and why! You can also vote in the poll, I added the most popular languages that are not Objective-C in there. Please also respond down below why your favourite programming language is your favourite and what you like about it, especially if it isn't in the poll!
    Thanks for participating!

2. My favourite language was Python until I discovered Ruby, which is similar but I like it a lot better with its OOP concepts.

3. I can't decide between Java & C#: they're both pretty similar. I prefer Java's naming conventions, but I like C#'s class properties (instead of having to write getThing() and setThing() for every field).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. My favourite programming lenguages are Java and C++, but I prefer Java because it's more user-friendly for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. With the many advances java has been making towards cutting down on lines of code (For instance, the neat try-with feature in 7) it's incredibly close to my favorite programming language. But i dislike Java's extremely limited abilities. They've yet to even implement unsigned integers :/ (Although i believe there are methods of using unsigned in java). Another missing feature would be the neat operator overloading in C++. It helps cut down on your code by extreme amounts.

So I'd say C++. But Java is defiantly faster/safer to deploy in most environments and is much more clean to read/maintain..

6. I hope you know you're asking this in a mostly Java environment, lol :p Your results might be different if you asked on a different site.

my fav languages:
    1. Java
    2. PHP
    3. JavaScript

#6 alzdoesmc, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  7. My current favorite is Kotlin. Though once Ceylon becomes more fleshed out, that'll probably become my #1 favorite.

Kotlin and Scala both have operator overloading.

8. can't chose :( I like Java and C++ equally... honestly, they are used for very different things when used correctly

9. Omnivion

Patron

I've been playing with functional languages lately, after reading Learn You a Haskell for Great Good, but Java is still my favorite. Everything in Java feels so natural.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Only one who prefers Python, eh?

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. HTML and CSS are NOT programming languages.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. https://projectlombok.org/features/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. You should have listed C and C++ separately. C is great. C++ sucks donkey balls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. C++ don't suck donkey balls.

15. It's horrible. It's a mess. It's like they put four different languages together. The syntax is horrible. "Oh, let's throw an ampersand in there." "Hey, let's add another ampersand, so it's a double-ampersand." "Hey, there are some more special characters we didn't use, so let's throw in angle brackets." "Let's make people put in open and closing braces with nothing in between." Then throw in worthless error messages from the compiler.

Even Linus Torvalds and Ken Thompson say that C++ is terrible. Go look it up. Here are some quotes:

Linus Torvalds: "C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much easier to generate total and utter crap with it... C++ leads to really really bad design choices."

Ken Thompson: "[C++] certainly has its good points. But by and large I think it's a bad language. It does a lot of things half well and it’s just a garbage heap of ideas that are mutually exclusive. Everybody I know, whether it’s personal or corporate, selects a subset and these subsets are different. So it’s not a good language to transport an algorithm -- to say, "I wrote it; here, take it." It’s way too big, way too complex. And it’s obviously built by a committee.

"Stroustrup campaigned for years and years and years, way beyond any sort of technical contributions he made to the language, to get it adopted and used. And he sort of ran all the standards committees with a whip and a chair. And he said "no" to no one. He put every feature in that language that ever existed. It wasn't cleanly designed -- it was just the union of everything that came along. And I think it suffered drastically from that."

So there you have it: "horrible" and "garbage heap of ideas".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Oops, I registered for a C++ course this summer. Maybe will can see why it is bad.

17. Haskell, Kotlin, Java and Javascript in that order.

Haskell for the wonderfully expressive code, there really is nothing that can beat that for me, the code that I see seniors write in Java looks "very smart", but the same code written by Haskell seniors is just simply art. I really like Kotlin for the succinct syntax and clean overall design. Java for obvious reasons, the fact that you compile once run anywhere is very attractive. Javascript is an odd one, though. I used to hate it but since I started writing some node equipped with Typescript, I don't actually mind it. I write in a lot more than just those languages, but those are the ones that I have fun writing in. I also quite like the look of oCaml but never got around to writing any of it, same for elixir.

18. How old are these quotes?

I have only worked with the newer standards like c++11, so I can't judge how it was 10-20 years ago.

19. Linus Torvalds, 2007.
    Ken Thompson, 2009.

C++11 hasn't necessarily improved things, just added more features to the garbage heap. That's where they added "&&", and no, it's not a logical 'and', it's something else entirely.

20. TBH I have never seen or used any of the weird syntax you're talking about. (I doesn't say it don't exist.)