Resource What to do to learn java (ONLINE TUTORIALS)

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by FalconSeeker, Jun 25, 2018.

1. RATED BY IN MY OPINION WITH: " ★ "
    BOOKS:
    (2) ★ https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
    (1) ★ http://greenteapress.com/thinkapjava/thinkapjava.pdf
    VISUAL (VIDEOS):
    (3) ★funprogramming.org (INTERACTIVE)

This one is quite interesting as it has video tutorials to teach you the content, and then an IDE built into the web browser so when the video is done, you get the practice typing it into the computer which also helps in memorizing.
    (Couldn't post the videos because they were weird.)
    (2) ★★ PogoDev (Youtube)
    CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI5kTq_eoaZslY9TQ4XlmmA

This one is hard to follow on to, unless really you have multiple screens. Video tutorials I do not really like, because I feel as if they do not really allow you to follow along, and your just copying code the whole time without understanding what it truly does.
    WRITTEN + INTERACTING (MY FAVORITE)
    (4) ★ Learnjavaonline.org (INTERACTIVE)
    [​IMG]
    This one is a little bet better for those who just need to get information without digging. It has it right there, and even a console to run the code yourself.
    (2) ★ Sololearn.com (INTERACTIVE)
    [​IMG]
    (5) ★ CodeCademy.com (HIGHLY INTERACTIVE)
    [​IMG]
    CodeCademy and LearnJavaOnline are my favorites out of these lists, hopefully you will consider checking it out. The interactive examples can walk you through step by step and is extremely helpful for learning java. If none of this stuff helps you... then your already a professional at java, and can code anything.

#1 FalconSeeker, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

This line, is honestly a lie, i'm 99% sure all of the links provided teach you the basics, and maybe SOME intermediate and advanced stuff, however definitely not enough to be a professional or enough to be able to code "anything"

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I never said you would be able to code (EDIT) "anything" though. I simply meant that by looking at these tutorials, you might learn something new you haven't known before, such as a better and faster way to do something. If not a single thing can improve your coding skills from these tutorials, then I question your authenticity

4. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

"
    CodeCademy and LearnJavaOnline are my favorites out of these lists, hopefully you will consider checking it out. The interactive examples can walk you through step by step and is extremely helpful for learning java. If none of this stuff helps you... then your already a professional at java, and can code anything.
    "

5. What're you talking about, I specifically remember the "self-sufficient A.I." and "Quantum simulations and you" tutorials from codecademy!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Im trying to say that it would be suprising if you aren't able to learn anything, because everyone can improve.

7. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Well it's not worded that way
    You actually got me to google and see if those were actually a thing, congratz

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/how-to-learn-java-programming/ Already a thing.
    Also not sure on what Spigot's stance is on sharing copies of books that aren't free (i.e the drive). This one I'm not sure on, just know some sites really frown on this kind of stuff, others do not care. Along with this, neither clean code nor effective Java are really for "learning how to program."
    Effective Java is good when you already have grasp so can improve from there as it teaches you more of the niches of the language rather than the core. Clean code is decent for people who have started programming. Means little to nothing for people who don't know how to code at all.
    Nice to have resources but you jump around a bit on your target audience.

9. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

Really?
    A tutorial on where to learn Java/programming/coding and you are not using the [code ] blocks?

Nonetheless the links can be useful for new programmers. Nice (y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Anecdotally, I don't see the use of this tutorial. As mentioned, there are already a bunch of other tutorials on how to learn Java. What makes this one any better than the existing ones?

I also don't think the problem is that people don't know Java. People in this community just don't know how to program ... how to reason about program design and following best practices. A good tutorial should be geared to explaining these facets.

Java is not a difficult language to learn in terms of semantics and is relatively safe when learning the fundamentals (inherently partly due to how verbose it is). I think people ought to be more focused on teaching good design and good object oriented principles. But understanding the basics of Java is a good start, and I appreciate the effort you put here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

u cant just throw links out like this.

some points (entirely my opinion)
    • i dont believe you are in the right position to be appointing people on what they //should// be doing, until you yourself have had more experience with the language. i base this off your profile and type of activity in the community
    • like i said, u cant just throw links and tell us to look at them. you need to provide why we should use them over the hundreds more out there.
    • u seem to be spamming these //tutorials// on doing stuff before the Spigot API, just stick to one and explain what you have to say in detail. this also seems to be because of your rage from 2 other users who didnt seem to know what they were doing. i congratulate you on making the effort to try to teach others like them, in the future, however, you need to review some of these other points^

dont mean for this to be insulting you or your content, and don't mean for it to come across as so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. I stopped reading when I saw the error in your opening code block..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. you forgot to mention that he forgot his ) and ; ...

14. Learning pure Java is great but sooner or later you need to make it relevant to Spigot, especially if you aim to code plugins. I personally jumped right into making plugins before I had any idea what Java really was. Yes, that had huge drawbacks for the end users (the plugins' quality was low), but it enabled me to learn as quickly and practically as possible, so I recommend connecting it.

There are also online courses available for this purpose. You can go to Udemy and see there are a few courses teaching both Java and Bukkit for under $30. I personally also made one (see signature), but it is not for everyone and also contains stuff about selling.

Lastly, vouch for the Clean Code book that OP recommended. Since I implemented the advice there, my plugins' quality skyrocketed.

15. I learned the Java basics many years ago mainly from YouTube, mainly from thenewboston. He explains it very simple and even someone with poor knowledge about computers can learn from his videos. After you understand the basics you can move onto online tutorial sites, such as tutorialspoint to learn stuff about datastructures. Learning to make plugins is mainly done from examples or from tutorials, but mainly practice. After that the trick is how to learn to use OOP in order to write structured and clean code. To do this requires a lot of trial and error, but learning basic design patterns, helps a lot.

16. Not coding in notepad. tsk tsk, heathen.

17. oh you mean the IDE didn't make them for you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. So I learned all the basics, but I want to get into the more advanced topics of the Java language. What resources can help me learn this stuff?

19. Any specific topics you're particularly interested in? As @Proximyst said this is a good website to read free books on programming in a variety of programming languages and normal languages and there are also books on some more advanced topics, maybe take a look there to see if you want anything that interests you.