When do you restart your server?

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by TheOnlyRealTGS, Mar 29, 2013.

?

When do you restart your server?

1. Every 1-6 hours

11.8%
  2. Every 6-12 hours

19.7%
  3. Every 12-24 hours

40.8%
  4. Every second day

6.6%
  5. Every third day

1.3%
  6. Every fourth day

2.6%
  7. Never (0% downtime xD)

17.1%
  1. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

Hey,
    I have noticed that my server begins acting weird after around 36 hours or so.
    So i often restart every 36 hour.
    I wonder how often you guys restart your server?

2. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

Every morning Monday - Friday, if I have a chance before work.
    Saturday & Sunday I try not to, and usually it runs fine through the weekend.

With Bungeecord I just /send current hub, before I restart so its less likely to lose players from them logging off.
    I give them a warning of course before I shutdown.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeff142

Benefactor

i over kill it at every 6 hours

4. Before I added Feed the Beast there was no need to intentionally restart on my small server.
    I restarted the actual Linux (the metal) server every 30 days with a cronjob (probably not needed on Linux, just a windows holdover).

Now that I have Feed the Beast I use cronjobs to restart all servers at 3am GMT -4

5. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

What is feed the beast?

6. It is very similar to tekkit. There is a spigot-based server for it called MCPC+ that is a blessing.

7. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

So it's like a new "gamemode" like tekkit?
    I mean it's not like Spigot

8. I restart it every mornig at 6am

9. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

Every 12 hours to ensure if a problem goes wrong, it's fixed in 12 hours or less.

10. I normally restart every 12 hours but im currently seeing how long my server can stay up without a crash as build #735 seems to be very good at handling stuff in memory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

I restart whenever I need to do updates. So sometimes it's up for weeks at a time.

12. joehot200

Supporter

I have a very slight memory leak in a couple of my plugins. I usually restart every 2 days, though every day i add, code, or change stuff, meaning i usually restart every 5-6 hours when online (cos im doing updates/changes etc).

After about 4 days of normal use the server usually crashes, due to it running out of RAM.
    And it goes down for about 6 hours if my ADMINS DO THE /RESTART COMMAND (which crashes the server for me!) -_-

#12 joehot200, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  13. I restart Everytime I add or change something. For normal restarts I usually do 12-14 hours

14. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

Before we implemented our restart scripts our test server stayed up for 2 months without us knowing. We wondered what was taking up 8GB of RAM. xD

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. joehot200

Supporter

that was clever..... :D

16. How do you guys schedule restarts like this? I don't want to use remote-toolkit, so any good way to do restarts every day without using RTK?

17. joehot200

Supporter

Just schedule your server to stop at a certain time interval day....

18. How would I go about doing this? Do you use cron, plugins, or what?

19. joehot200

Supporter

Sorry... was being a bit vague..
    Anyways, both would work, i dont know if you can code, but if you can, just set a delayed task onEnable telling the server to /stop, you could also make a cron which /pkills "craftbukkit", and then does the run script again. (Though you would need regular saves for that, idk how u would save world ingame)

20. If you start and stop your server by setting up /etc/init.d scrips, you can use crontab to issue the shutdown normal/gracefully, no killing needed.

Then if you do a full power cycle, you don't even need to consider starting minecraft because you will set your /etc/init.d to be part of the normal startup operation.

I just happened to start putting together some linux poweruser scripts today that will be easy for beginners to use. Whenever possible I automate stuff with linux instead of tasking minecraft to do it via plugins (saves, backups, such nonsense!)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1