Where to start with web hosting?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by colebob9, May 12, 2016.

1. I thinking of starting a forum website as my server is growing in numbers a bit (around 15 at most, community of around 35 currently). I want to host a forum, wiki, and main page. I am familiar with Linux based servers, so a VPS won't be foreign to me. I don't want to spend a fortune if I'm not getting a ton of traffic though.

What would be the best option for me for a small server like mine and also would be ready to expand if my server gets any bigger?

2. ExtraVM, Vultr, OVH

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Best bet would be to either go with a reliable shared hosting company or maybe even a small VPS. I personally don't see you needing anything more than shared hosting currently and it's mostly quite easy to move from shared hosting to a VPS if needed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Alright. Is there any shared hosting you would recommend?

5. If I'm 100% honest I'm probably not the best person to ask, just looking at my footer you'd imagine who'd I would recommend and it wouldn't be fait :p BBut it really depends on what you think you need/want such as SSD's, location, price etc.

6. ExtraVM

7. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Thanks

8. Considering the size of your server and for just a website I recommend DigitalOcean. Very cheap and high quality servers they offer.

9. Digital ocean seems great, just their pricing is not very competitive...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Relative to what the people on this forum thinks is competitive pricing, maybe. In the real world they're pretty cheap.

11. Tux

Tux

To Spigot, "competitive pricing" means "whatever OVH charges"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. For a forum, use proboards, it's free :D

13. Well you have to admit OVH is best for starting up.

14. If you're still looking for web hosting, mind shooting me a PM? I can get you set up with something within your budget.

As for the website/forum, you should take a look at NamelessMC (https://namelessmc.com/). I've never actually used it, but I've seen it being used before and it seems really nice.