Which dedicated server should I choose?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by misterHJones, Mar 30, 2020.

?

Which one is better?

1. Intel i7-4790K

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. Hello,

I found two different dedicated servers both at a different host. Which dedicated server is better?

1) Intel i7-4790K - 4c / 8t - 4GHz(4.4GHz) - 32GB DDR3 1333MHz - 1x240GB - SSD
    Network of this host: 250 MBs bandwidth
    €55,-

2) Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6 - 4c / 8t - 3.8GHz(4.2GHz) - 64GB DDR4 ECC - 2x512GB SSD M.2 NVMe
    Network of this host: NIC 1 Gbit - Intel I219-LM
    €57,-

My intention is to run a factions, a survival server, a lobby & bungeecord server with at least a peak capacity of 50 players on both the factions and survival server.

Thanks in advance!

#1 misterHJones, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. I think that #2 would be a better choice. Having 2 disks will help as if one were to fail, you would not lose the data, assuming you use RAID 1.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Correct though people should understand that this is to keep servers going and NOT a backup. So they are advised to take backups even though RAID 1 is active.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks for your advice!
    Since there are two people voting for #1 and for the time being only you for option #2, I wonder if the separate parts of the servers, the CPU, the ram and disk speed, make a difference compared one-to-one.

So what do you think about this:
    Is DDR4 for example a huge improvement compared to DDR3?
    And makes 0.2GHz more clockspeed a notable difference, if so how can this be encountered?
    And is normal SSD faster or slower to SSD M.2 NVMe or does it mot matter?

5. Well compare the specs of the different CPUs and you can see why I think #2 is better. NVMe is faster than a regular SSD.

6. Well. Using one you'd get a 5 year old processor made for home computers. If you choose 2 you get a newer processor made for servers.

I think the 0.2GHz less speed on the second one is only on paper. It will actually work better irl.