Which is better for running a Minecraft server?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by PantMan, May 12, 2017.

1. Which is better for a Minecraft bungeecord server (with multiple servers of course)?

Hardware details:

Intel Xeon E5-1650V2

2x HDD 2,0 TB SATA Enterprise

4x RAM 16384 MB DDR3 ECC reg.

Or...

Hardware details:

Intel i7-7700K OC
    4c/8t - 4.7 GHz/5.00 GHz
    64GB DDR4 2400 MHz
    SoftRaid 2x450GB nvme
    250 Mbps bandwidth
    vRack: not included

2. Xeons are made for server use and the E5-1650V2 has 6 cores against 4 from the 7700k. Although the drives from the i7 rig are better...

3. What are NVMe drives even? SSD? If so, definitely go with the i7 version or the Xeon with SSD's instead.

4. Gaxan

Supporter

Both are good but the 7700k is better. It really depends on how many minecraft servers you are planning to run.

5. Gaxan

Supporter

6. Alright, thanks for clearing that up :D

Agreed with this. I think the final decision should rest on wether you are at a hosting company such as OVH (most likely) or building the server and buying the hardware yourself. Xeon's are made for servers, they don't break as quick as i7's. If you you were the one having to pay up for a broken CPU, I would go with Xeon. If you're at a hosting company, you shouldn't care about a broken i7 CPU since they'll simply replace it for you when it breaks without you having to pay anything for it.

I assume you're simply going to a hosting company so I would go with the i7.

7. Well 50 dollars is a max I can go. But someone suggested me an Intel i7 4790K with 32 GB ram from SYS (So you start) it's cheaper a few dollars cheaper than the Xeon so is that better than the Xeon? I can save like 7 dollars here or so

8. You'll do perfectly fine with E3-SSD-5. I'm running that and player peak 64 the other day my cpu usage was ~15% with some backup background tasks going on. Costs around 37 dollars if you buy from eu servers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. GaIaxy

Supporter

I'm running an i7 from SYS. Does pretty well honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Being honest this would depend on the amount of servers really but I would personally go with the Xeon server.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thanks bro