Who should I learn from?

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by ServerProxy, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Title pretty much says it all, looking for someone who is a teacher on youtube. Not looking for books, because reading is boring.

Thanks,
    ServerProxy

2. Everyone. Learn from everyone.

Look through random plugins on here and click their Github links. See how they do stuff.

Search on google for "Bukkit plugin tutorial".
    This is one I often link to people, as I learned from it myself long ago
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RABwEM8FNPHwREOtH3AjTKsPt0jNsvGqb0okPn5-5TY/edit

This playlist has a lot of tutorials, may be valuable though I haven't actually watched through them.
    Code (Text):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSpLvycd1E&list=PL_MDptw3Zft_Xb8-i0WBGtwdUN14TMJNE

3. Strahan

Benefactor

That's sad. You don't know what you are missing, so many really good novels out there. But I digress. I'm the opposite; I find videos are usually annoying as hell when I want to find the answer to a problem and have to skip around to get past the presenter yapping about other unrelated crap. That and when I find a video on a topic I need but it is presented by some person with a thick accent or an annoying squeaky voiced kid lol.

Not really a fan of books for technical research (no easy search heh) but I find text based documentation to be far superior to videos.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I own a lot of resources for learning plugin development but they cost a pretty penny (I've spent ~ 80€ on courses plus I have access to O'Reilly)

- SpigotCourse.com (It's pretty good, I tend to find his accent infuriating in sections though, sorry!)
    - https://www.udemy.com/develop-minecraft-plugins-java-programming/ (Again, pretty good but doesn't teach java fundamentals very well.)
    - https://www.udemy.com/java-the-complete-java-developer-course (I use this more as a reference guide and I tune in when I have a spare 15 mins)

I'm a bit of an audio-visual learner so I like the interactive courses and the support that comes with them, Learning how to use Javadocs and effective Stackoverflow browsing will help you.

5. Why spend money when you can learn from books, StackOverflow (as you said) and YouTube ?
    Edit: (And other ways)

6. While the idea is good, I don't fully agree. There are far too many plugins out there with terrible coding habits. Mine are likely no different.
    Learning from those is not a good idea.

There is no one "golden way" to learn. Everyone has their own "style" of learning. You can learn something from looking at other people's code, but it can be difficult to find the person who's actually writing good quality code (if this is truly something you want to to, I would recommend Choco's plugins - they're open source and no doubt written well).
    Of course your first task is to get to know the basics Java. There are many tutorials online in both text and video form. Just look for the one that suits you the best.
    Once you've got a decent grasp on java, IMHO the best way to learn plugin development is while actually doing it. Again, you might need a kick start, for which there are plenty of tutorials on these forums as well as youtube. But after that I would suggest just going out and trying to accomplish whatever it is you wish to do. If you stumble into a problem, remember that Google is your friend. If you can't find the answer on google nor on these forums, don't hesitate to ask.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

Learn by doing! It sure doesn't work for everyone but that is what I did.

Once you stumble upon an issue you can always rely on a few google searches and StackOverflow. The key to not adopt bad habits is by not just copying but always ask yourself; "Why am I doing this?", "Is there a better way?", "What is the point of this?". Always approach issues with a desire to learn and improve instead of just copying and do what 90% are doing - "Welp. This is working. Moving on...". When you do that you're gonna hit a plateau very quick, get stuck, and probably quit because you won't be able to do cool stuff.

Jump into it and adopt good learning habits. There is plenty of good documentation and material out there. Find out what works for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I entirely agree with this response. I personally learned a large amount of what I know today by just trying to do stuff and eventually figuring out how to do it. If I ever really got completely stuck and dumbfounded my last resort would be to ask Spigot. I must strongly urge and request that posting a thread on Spigot should be everyone's last resort. There's no point in having the internet if people aren't going to take a max of 10 seconds typing in their question and looking through a few of Google's responses. Chances are if you've had a problem, someone somewhere at some time had the exact same problem and has already asked the internet.

Rant aside, try to do things. Read the guides on here and learn Java in general and you should be good to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Same.

I fully agree. There are as many ways to learn as people in the world.
    Some prefer books, others audiovisual. Some prefer the practice and others the theory.

In Spigot (and in the World), there is so many peoples that not know Java and Plugins but they post their resource. You can learn by checking other plugins but be very careful and check in first if the plugin is correctly developed.

10. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

How would you be able to check that yourself if you are not knowledgeable in the field and have no idea what "correct" actually is :ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside. Yea. Get a general idea of who the person is and their reputation before getting inspiration from something that could in itself be packed with poor code style, bad habits and, bad practices.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Another possibility is to add a wiki section where we agree on open source Bukkit projects that belong to this type. Good code style, habits. SOLID etc.

Selecting some reviewers that keep this section clean from trolls and bad code.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Strahan

Benefactor

Definitely. When I was fourteen, I had a "Learn C Now" book that I read. All I did on the actual PC was the examples for each section. Like "this is how to make a loop" and the like. It was very hard to retain what I learned. Fast forward a few decades and now when I attack a new language, I give myself a project to do. For PHP it was to make a media cataloging / launching website. For C# it was to make a networked wallpaper randomizer. Having projects to do make it far, far more engaging and easier to learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thank you everyone for your responses! I will now try to learn from the videos that were suggested, and then do something on my own with it.

14. Yes, without basic knowledge or another developer, you can"t check if the code is correct :p

15. Just learn whatever feels right from youtube or online. But I highly recommend some books, reading ain't boring, you understand what you're doing way more than just watching a youtube video and copy / paste the code. For best results just do both I guess

• Like Like x 1