Why make a free open source plugin?

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by FormallyMyles, May 15, 2016.

?

What's better?

1. Free - Open Source

50 vote(s)
    92.6%
  2. Paid - Closed Source

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. FormallyMyles

Supporter

Howdy,

I see a lot of plugins posted every day when I do my routine check of Spigot, increasingly more and more plugins are becoming paid for.

It's fair enough, developers put time in they want to make money to compensate for the loss of time / make money in general.

But why should people make free open source plugins in comparison to paid plugins?

Advantages of open source free plugins:
    • You inspire others to learn from your work and better the community.
    • It boosts your profile, everyone loves open-source and learning how plugins work and improving them.
    • Others can help fix the bugs you don't have time for and implement new features to make your plugin better.
    • Server owners who are starting out from nothing don't need money to add your plugin to their server.
    • You don't have to worry about your plugin being leaked. (Because people leak paid plugins :()
    • You can get sponsorship from several companies for tools / servers to aid your project giving you a better experience with enterprise tools.

Disadvantages:
    • You need to think about making your code readable to everyone else. (In the real world you have to do this when you work as a team, so hey it's good practice!)
    • You probably won't make as much money. (But hey, isn't karma better than money and also you can always accept donations)
    • You might get a few more reviews of people who are being silly, eg. This plugin doesn't work when you have a clear banner saying that you need to download another plugin.

I started my first plugin on Spigot as ViaVersion after spending a week working it out, it was buggy. But because I didn't make it paid and it was open source with decent code style lots of others helped me out fixing bugs and improving the code. Because it was free, people could try it and found it worked (and when it didn't they told me).

Overall making my plugins open source has boosted my profile and my plugin. I hope people making new resources consider free open source as an option, maybe not for all your plugins but give something back to the community. ;)

As a side note: Quality is also required for the above to work, making another clone of another free plugin probably isn't going to work unless you have substantial advantages.

What are your views on Open Source vs Paid?

• Like Like x 4
  2. IMO, if you're making a free plugin, you might aswell make it opensource, to prevent the hassle of decompiling. It's as much effort as creating a github repo and linking it with intellij. If you use maven, a CI system and Github releases, you don't even have to push updates to spigot anymore, just commit + push to the github and it will rebuild automatically. That's how I do it with all my free resources and I really like it (less work for me :))

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wherever there's paid downloadable content, there's an asshole that'll buy it and put it on LF where more assholes can swiftly grab their copy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Leakers are getting banned tho

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I was on Spigot one day and within 2 hours Featherboard was leaked 3 times...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. First start with open source free plugins then go to Paid If they are good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. A another point of open source plugins is everyone has to fight for their plugin to be on top, since I normally see I ton of copies of free plugins. which it's not such a good thing, but people do have to try to make their plugins the most lightweight and easy to use, which makes better plugins better for the users. Yep, free plugins for the win.

• Agree Agree x 1