Wiki Index

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by md_5, Jun 10, 2013.

1. joshwenke

Wiki Team

I've been considering adding a "Forums" button to the Spigot Wiki homepage, making "Spigot", "BungeeCord", and then "Forums" the main buttons.

The Forums category would contain forum rules, resource guidelines, the forum's ranks, and other forum-related stuff. Also, md_5's new post on resource guidelines would fit nicely in that category.

Anyone in favor?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Actually, now that you mention it… I could see great worth in that. I'd definitely help contribute to content in there as well.

3. joshwenke

Wiki Team

Glad to hear it.

Anyone else like the idea of adding a "Forums" category to the Wiki's main page?

4. I think it'd be useful for some people, so yes!

• Like Like x 1
  5. This would probably be a-lot of help. If so, I'd like to ask for the ability to contribute with staff or something.

6. The idea sounds awesome!

7. jtaylor69

jtaylor69 Retired Moderator
    Retired

Yeah I'd be happy with that

8. Hi, 3 quick thoughts / observations / suggestions...

The page from the main Spigot wiki under Getting Started -> Installation seems to be incorrect and should instead be more like Build Tools wiki. OK, I understand all this changed and things are in flux, just thought I'd point that out.

Also on the Build Tools wiki, I suggest two edits...

from this...
    Running BuildTools
    4. Run BuildTools.jar from the terminal (Do not double click the jar):
    1. On Linux run java -jar BuildTools.jar in bash or another appropriate shell.

to...
    Running BuildTools
    4. Run BuildTools.jar from the terminal (Do not double click the jar):
    1. On Linux:
    1. run git config --global --unset core.autocrlf
    2. run java -jar BuildTools.jar in bash or another appropriate shell.

References: (1) and (2)

Somewhere, it should be written to MOVE the jar and target to a folder somewhere else, not in the working buildtools.jar folder...

Thanks!
    Chris

9. joshwenke

Wiki Team

Thanks for the editing suggestions, @smashedagainst. I updated the pages in question. Please let me know if this looks good / accurate!

10. Thanks! Wow, #2 is subtle but a doozy! :D I like it... coming to Spigot from "just vanilla minecraft" a few weeks ago was pretty scary.

If anything, perhaps at the end a link to "what now" as in which plug-ins people consider mandatory and "why" we need permissions. Took me a while to get on that. I know it's kinda lower level than some would like to see, but the real problem was actually getting started was difficult without getting a nudge in the right direction from the forums.

:) Chris

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. joshwenke

Wiki Team

I'll add an article of that type to my list of things to write. It will take some planning and brainstorming. But very helpful suggestions, most of us are already set up with servers and have been for awhile, so it's always good to know what new people think when they take a look at our wiki. Again, thanks for the suggestion! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Thanks, yeah that's what I realized. Same at my real job, get someone who hasn't been doing this for years go over the process.

Thanks!
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Aschorren

Patron

Looks promising.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hello,
    Can i make a spanish version of the Wiki?
    There has been a large influx of Spanish speaking users to the site and i thought i could translate the whole wiki to prevent more threads in spanish asking for questions like "how to configure bungeecord"
    ~ Cheers

15. joshwenke

Wiki Team

Go for it! The more translations we have, the better :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thanks!
    I'll be preparing a very long thread called "The Unofficial Spanish Wiki" i'll do my best! :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. saphiria

Artist

I was viewing this page and I was wondering if we had an IRC Guide I could link? I looked for it and could not find it.

18. joshwenke

Wiki Team

Good question. In our page list I did not see an IRC guide. But we can make one!

Most of the topics on that page were just ideas initially and created later. What would an IRC Guide have in it?

19. saphiria

Artist

I honestly don't know, that placeholder was already there when I went to the page. Possibly a guide to using ChanServ and NickServ? (Registering nickname, how to make a channel, how long it will last, maybe a full command list, and possibly explain how to use /identity). I will edit this if I have more ideas.

20. joshwenke

Wiki Team

I know nothing about IRC, so if you wanted to make it you could :D