WINDOWS VS LINUX

Discussion in 'Technology' started by OscarDali, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Well there's really no demand for gaming on linux afaik, so that's not going to happen anytime soon, and yeah, screw wasting time trying to get any triple-a game running on linux; definitely not worth the trouble

2. Getting Steam to work on Linux is a change and as far as I known that wasn't easily done in the past. So there progress just not enough at the moment.

3. It completely depends on your wants/needs, why are you asking if you should use Linux? What are you interested in doing. If you are just messing about and running a Minecraft server and using the Desktop you are to work on it (along with play games and do the normal casual thing), I would probably say Windows. I've been a system admin for years and have done many large projects.. but I'm still sticking to Windows for my main work computer primarily because of compatibility issues with things I like to do outside of work (or sometimes even for work). It's a massive headache to get things to work with Linux that you may be use to on Windows alongside a bunch of bugs. I can recommend Linux 10/10 times for servers, routers, basically any production (or testing) environment. However, I cannot recommend it for the computer you are using to work on Linux with.

4. Strahan

Benefactor

It's much less hassle to just use virtualization. I've been using VMware for ten years and haven't had any problems with it since way back in the early versions. It's solid.

Plus virtualization has a HUGE advantage - snapshots. You can setup your system, snapshot it, then you are free to experiment with stuff. When you are done, roll back to the snapshot and all the crap you just did to the system is undone and it's clean. That and portability. Almost all of the servers at my office are virtualized. I migrated some software on one of the servers recently, doing a major version change. I was able to spin up a copy of the server's VM on my workstation, snapshot it, upgrade software then examine all the shit that blew up while leaving the production environment untouched. Then I could roll back, try it a different way until I found the right combination of steps to make everything happy. Virtualization is awesome.

5. I disagree I tried using Vituralbox and it's was a PITR for nothing... Just pop in a CD/stick and bam your done. It could also ensure that you can use it (BIOS, hardware drivers, etc).

6. Strahan

Benefactor

7. I use Windows on my PCs and I develop with it. No issues yet with that. However, the VPS where my server is hosted is Linux and I never had issues sharing files or connecting to my VPS.

Windows is fine *for me* on the PC side, on the server side Linux wins.

8. It really depends on how are you going to use your PC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. It's in AUR if you use Arch and in multiverse if you use a Debian based distro. Steam has really good Linux support since SteamOS is based on Debian

10. I use Fedora on my laptop for school, since I don't need any professional software that I can't find an alternative to. I hardly play games anymore, but I'm still running Windows 7 on my main machine for Visual Studio.

You should try out a few distributions of GNU/Linux and see if it's right for your use case.

11. Depends on what you are using the machine for,
    For example, I prefer using Windows for all round use however doing SSH, I like using Ubuntu Desktop.
    However. I would never use Windows to run Minecraft Servers due to performance reasons.

Not to forgot compatibility for your applications

12. Strahan

Benefactor

The performance difference between Windows or Linux is negligible in the context of a Minecraft server, assuming they are properly setup.

13. I use Linux as my daily driver, both PC and Laptop.
    Main reason, I love Linux. It doesn't spy on you (apart from some parts of Ubuntu)
    I run Antergos on my main PC and Manjaro on my laptop, mainly because I hate the arch installer and I love the AUR.

I only really play CSGO which uses OpenGL so it works out fine for me.

I'd only really recommend Linux to those people who care about privacy, not being forced updates, and people who want a productive desktop environment.

14. I use arch linux on my school laptop and it works just fine. Microsoft Office isn't a thing of course but libreoffice runs just fine. Also i would recommend getting Fedora or some of the Ubuntu variants if you want to switch.