[Xenforo] How too [...]

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by SlayerMarth, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

Does anyone know how I can implement browser caching into my website? I more so just want to cache the Logo and Background as those won't change much anytime soon. So, if possible, I'd want it to just cache those around once a week.

Why?

Doing that should hopefully help with the load time as visitors won't have to constantly load those two images every time they go to the site. Based on two different speed tests I've ran for my site, the logo and background take the most time which makes my load time for the site around 3-4 seconds. (I know it's not much, but it could be faster) So, if this is possible, could anyone give me some noob friendly steps to take in doing so?

2. You can also try reducing the size of the background and logo images.
    They are now 1MB in total, which isn't much already, but can always be less.

PS Your webhost is having a bad connection to Europe I guess? The website is really slow for me.

3. I've actually done that a few time now. It helped, but not as much as I'd had hoped. I did a sleed test of it in both Canada and Sweden and they both came out to around 3 or so seconds loading the main page. Those two pictures were the biggest issues based on the details the tests gave me. Even after reducing it more than it is now. ._.

I figured just caching them would help if I could do it.

4. Maybe get a CDN for your website? And maybe check the server load but not to mention which host and which plan do you have?

5. Which webserver are you using?

6. We've actually figured it out. It was a matter of adding a couple lines to our .htcaccess file.
    Things seem to be working better now. I'm still doing a few optimizations but overall it's faster than it was. Definitely.
    Thank you all for your help!

7. You can also try this site, atleast for your background. You can reduce the size of the background png by about 60-80% without any noticable loss of quality: https://tinypng.com/

Used that on my website and helped alot

8. latiku

Supporter

go on the xenforo forums and ask

9. mathhulk

mathhulk Retired Moderator
    Retired

Looks like he has already figured out.

@SlayerMarth, it is always nice to share what worked for you, especially when you solve questions you've asked to the community. ;)

10. I'll post the link when I get home to my laptop.

11. @mathhulk and everyone else. :)

Here's what I did to solve my issue.
    It took a bit to fully kick in a cache everything, but when it did, everything pretty much loaded instantly. No delays anywhere from what I've seen so far, and I'm using the image size for the background. Haven't tried the logo yet as it was originally 3600x3600 lol...

If you want to give it a go and let me know if it's slow for you guys, please do. The site is @ http://apex-factions.com
    I'm still tinkering with things, but please feel free to tell me if it moves slow for you or not, and if you can, tell me which page it happens on too.

[​IMG]

12. JamesJ

Supporter

Speak to your host and ask if they can use nginx with web-server caching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.