XenForo on a 1GB VPS

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by vrx64, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Hi

I currently have a 1G BuyVM Slice that I'm using to run OpenVPN, a Discord bot and a TeamSpeak 3 server. All in all about 200MB. Is there enough left over for a LEMP stack hosting a single XenForo install that'll get about 20-30 unique visitors per day? I know MariaDB can be a bit heavy, thanks.

I hosted a WHMCS install many years ago on a 128MB RAM VPS but I know times/requirements change, just seeking advice.

2. Should be fine.

3. 1G ram for a TS server, a discord bot and an entire forum?

I wouldn't do it, but good luck. While I guess it could work out, it's just not maintainable for the long term if you expect any forum growth.

4. XenForo isn't really resource demanding, I think I ran it on a 512MB VPS once.

5. Mysql is RAM demanding.

6. 20-30 unique visitors per day

That shouldn't break the bank.
    RAM should be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I'm maintaining well-visited webshops for a client with about 20-200 visitors a day. The VPS ran on 1GB RAM and after a few days, MySQL had shutdown itself due to lack of memory. Both shops (2) are running on WordPress with a disk cache for the database etc. An upgrade to 4GB RAM fixed the issue and it stays currently stable at 1-2GB in use.

8. Looks like you will be fine running all of those on there as your XenForo isn't getting a lot of traffic. If it increases you should consider getting a bigger VPS or even a dedicated box to keep with demands.