XRay Prevention

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Jigsaw, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jigsaw

Supporter

I have been using Orebfuscator on my server to prevent xray up until now. As of Spigot 1.4.6 (and some version of Spigot 1.4.5) Orebfuscator is not working. When using Orebfuscator with spigot there is an issue with chest inventories getting erased. See this thread for more information. I have confidence that a fix will eventually be found, but for the time being I need to find somethign else. In the search for some other way to fight Xray on my server I have decided to make this thread and get other opinions on this topic.

One of the plugins I was looking into was Anti X-Ray. This plugin allows only a certain number of diamond ore to be broken by each player in a set time period. The plugin is configurable. There are quite a few positive comments that I have read about it. The only issue I see is that innocent players will likely be blocked from mining from time to time. With a server that has a very strong focus on the economy I think that would be a chance I could take.

Another plugin I have used before is XRay Informer. This plugin provides an ore ration based on what ore you define in the config. It uses the LogBlock database to fetch the information and then display an ore:stone ration in game. The problem with this plugin is that it forces you to allow people to cheat and then try and sift through who has cheated and who was innocent. Not to mention the database queries take a significant amount of time if your LogBlock database is large.

What are your opinions on these or other plugins? What do you use to protect your server?

XRay Prevention Plugins:
    • Orebfuscator - Packet modification (broken with Spigot 1.4.6 and some 1.4.5 builds)
    • Anti X-Ray - Time limited mining of diamond ore
    • XRay Informer - Provides ratio of ore broken using LogBlock database

2. TBH it really depends on what you're looking for. If you have the coding knowledge and the time to fix bugs with Oreobfuscator and Spigot then by all means go ahead.
    Anti-xray is an economy hurting plugin, but if you don't want an economy to be the center of fun on your server then use that.
    Xray Informer sounds like the easiest option here, however I have seen it used on other servers and innocent players are banned for xraying, then hours later they are unbanned because of false accusation and the real culprit has been banned. However if you have the common sense to wait for extra feedback and conduct more research, you could easily find the culprit within 30 minutes - however on big servers it will be a slow option because of the way it checks the logblock database.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jigsaw

Supporter

I do develop plugins, but I don't have the depth of knowledge to dive into Spigot or Orebfuscator at this moment in time.
    I'm not really sure how this would hurt the economy? If anything, it would help the economy by increasing the demand of diamonds. The economy of my server is very strong, thanks mainly to Orebfuscator, and I would like to keep it that way. The only negative about Anti X-Ray is that it would likely frustrate a few innocent people who meet the mining limit, but have not xrayed.
    I have, on average, around 50 players online at one time. To check each player for xray is incredibly unrealistic. Like I said in my original post, the LogBlock database query takes a significant amount of time for each player and that is a huge negative of this plugin. I have used this plugin before and it caused more arguments than anything. I really don't like Xray Informer at all.

4. Yes, it would increase the demand for diamonds but aren't they already high in demand already? Shops would also sell out pretty quickly so players would rage :p

5. AMG

AMG

Is anyone able to fix Orebfuscator? I really need it :(

6. I had to remove it for now also, cpu was all over and lag was unbearable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AMG

AMG

I'm willing to pay the person that is able to fix it. Just tell me an affordable price

8. I haven't seen the chest wipe bug in several days... thinking its fixed, checking today's logs now.

9. Jigsaw

Supporter

Did you update something? If you don't mind, please post version/build for Spgiot and Orebfuscator.

10. Using Libigot and latest fork of Orebfuscator (1.8.3) I think.

11. 2013-01-16 01:47:57 [SEVERE] Block at 1519,133,2765 is CHEST but has null. Bukkit will attempt to fix this, but there may be additional damage that we cannot recover.

No. It isn't fixed.

12. Jigsaw

Supporter

Libigot likely doesn't have the commit that broke Orebfuscator. I haven't compared commits with Spigot, but logically that would be the only reason it works with Libigot and not Spigot. I guess I will continue to wait until Spigot incorporates built-in anti-xray.

13. md_5

Administrator Developer

Has anyone actually tried Bukkit for a decent enough time to establish this as a fact?
    https://github.com/EcoCityCraft/Spi...293b38cb9a1296937d91746b175252be044a...master

That is the complete diff of Bukkit vs Spigot, and I see no way at all that we can affect it.

14. I can confirm.
    Spigot build (may be older versions too) 271-289. Bug with disappearing items.
    Craftbukkit build 2593. No bug with disappearing items.
    All plugins are same.

15. md_5

Administrator Developer

Have you run each build for a long enough period of time that it is 100% certain it will happen.

Because in reality the code never lies, and I can imagine having the same scenario as the worldguard guy.
    For days 'it doesnt happen in bukkit I swear'
    -> happens in bukkit

16. I can give access to our server (9 servers) if you want.
    When I use spigot bug happens in 15-100 minutes after changing core from Craftbukkit to Spigot.
    When I use Craftbukkit build 2593 bug doesn't happens after 30 hours on all 9 servers * 100 online.

17. That sounds good!!!!

18. How can I donate to Spigot project?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.