Create a news page on Xenforo
Hello, everyone! It's been a fun few months I've been here on Spigot. After seeing a high demand for Xenforo tutorials, I've decided to make a few guides on how to make your Minecraft server forums the best Minecraft server forum possible! Today, I'm going to teach you how to install XenPorta 2!
What is XenPorta 2? Easily said, it's that news-thingy you see on many sites, such as Spigot and Hypixel. It's great for site/server announcements! We are going to make a front page just like those sites!
In order to proceed with this guide, you will need the following:
- A Xenforo installation with administrator and FTP/filesystem access
- XenPorta 2 addon zip file ($40, instructions on how to purchase below)
- Head over to https://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wr-xenporta-2-portal-pro.3894/ and click on the "Buy Now" button (requires you to have an account added to a Xenforo license)
- You will be directed to a PayPal page. Log in with your PayPal.
- After paying, you will soon get an email to your PayPal email from 8WAYRUN (company that makes XenPorta) with the link to download the addon zip file.
Once you have everything, you're ready to get started! For the purposes of these guides, I have hastily set up a local test environment on a VM, so excuse me for not styling the site in the examples!
Now, follow this step-by-step guide:
- Unzip the addon file. It should contain the following files inside the folder:
- Log into your FTP or file manager for your site. In this example, I'm using FTP with FileZilla (the directory listing should appear something like this):
- Drag all three folders I showed above into the directory listing. It should automatically start queueing files (just wait until all the files successfully transfer).
- Log into your Xenforo admin panel (yourforumdomain.tld/admin.php) and navigate to the "Install Add-on" button on the front page
- You will see a screen that tells you to select a an XML file for installation. In the "Install from file on server:" text box, enter: library/EWRporta2/addon-EWRporta2.xml
- Press "Install Add-on." The installation process with begin. Do not touch your browser window until you see the "Installed Add-ons" page appear.
- If you go to your site page at this moment, you'll see two things: one, there are two home buttons and two, if you go to the article list (yourforumdomain.tld/index.php?articles/), you'll notice that there isn't anything there. Not to worry! We'll deal with it soon enough.
- Now, we are going to make a news/announcements forum. This can be done by going into the "Applications" tab in the administrator panel on Xenforo and clicking on "Create New Node."
- Press "Forum," and click "Proceed."
- Enter a title and description for the forum, and click "Save Forum." (you're gonna have to set proper permissions in order to access this and prevent abuse of this forum, so be sure you do later on!)
- Navigate to the "Options" page in your administrator panel on Xenforo. Click on "[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta 2 (Portal) PRO" at the bottom of the page.
- Navigate to "Auto-Promote Forums," and select the News forum. Click "Save Changes" once you are done.
- Now, go to your site and enter the news forum. Click "post new thread" and post something random.
- Upon posting, you'll notice the thread comes out funny. If you don't want it to come out this way, don't worry! I'll tell you how to fix it in a bit. After looking at it, navigate to the second home button (or first, depending on what your settings are).
- My goodness! Is that a news page I see? (If you're not seeing it, navigate to yourforumdomain.tld/index.php?articles/)
- Now, we have to turn it into our home page. Navigate to the options page, again, in your administrator panel and select "Basic Board Information."
- Navigate to "Index page route." It should be set as forums/, set it to articles/. Press "Save Changes."
- Congrats! If you go to yourserverdomain.tld, it should show your news page! Give yourself a pat on the back for getting so far!
- BuildBlox, I want to get rid of the second home tab. Not a problem! Just go to the "Basic Board Information" options tab again, and remove whatever is in the text box. After you press "Save Changes," the tab will be gone!
- BuildBlox, that's not the home tab I want to get rid of (I have a separate home page/whatever). Ah, I see. Well, instead of deleting it, I'm going to edit it to say "News" instead. Go to "Appearance" and select "phrases" from the sidebar.
- Part 2: In the search tab, search "home" and select the porta2_home phrase. Change the text to "News" and press "Save Phrase." The tab should be changed to "News".
- BuildBlox, the thread style looks ugly. Change it! Not a problem! Navigate to the end of the options page to the "[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta 2 (Portal) PRO" page again. Go to the bottom and deselect "Enable custom article layout" and "Enable custom comments layout." Press "Save Changes." It should be fixed.
- BuildBlox, I want the date block thing-y that shows the date. How do I get it? Pretty simple. Navigate to "Appearance" in the administrator panel; select "Xenporta 2 - Article List" in the "Style Properties" at the bottom. Afterwards, select "Display Date Block Next to Excerpt" and press "Update Style Properties."
- BuildBlox, can I marry you? Leave a like and we'll find out
Sorry the last couple images were links, I ran out of images I could post on the thread.
I hoped I help you guys today! This guide took a while to make, but I'm sure it'll help a bunch of people! If you feel I assisted you, leave a rating! If you feel I really helped you, my PayPal email is admin(at)buildblox.net (donations are entirely optional).
Do you guys think I should make some more guides? Leave a reply below!